NUS Environmental Research Institute,
1 CREATE Way, #15-02 CREATE Tower,
Ph.D. (under review), Solar Thermal Technology, The Australian National University, 2015–2021.
M.Sc., Erasmus Mundus Joint Program in Energy Engineering, Eindhoven University of Technology (TUE), Netherlands & Royal Institute of Technology (KTH), Sweden, 2012–2015.
B.Eng., Energy and Environment System Engineering, Zhejiang University, China, 2008–2012.
High-temperature solar thermochemical technology
Energy storage and CO2 capture based on solar-driven chemical looping
Multiphase solar reactor design and modelling
Design and optimization of a high-temperature packed-bed solar thermochemical reactor for solar energy storage
An indirectly irradiated solar thermochemical packed-bed reactor has been designed to achieve the endothermic reduction step of a two-step metal oxide-based chemical looping, which is a promising pathway for solar energy storage and water splitting. The novel reactive medium consists of binary Fe/Mn oxide particles was tested in the reactor under concentrated solar irradiation generated by a high-flux solar simulator. Leveraging commercial software and in-house developed programs, a numerical model was developed to simulate the chemically reactive and radiatively participative gas–solid flow for performance evaluation and operation optimization of the reactor. The solar-to-chemical efficiency reached 11.4% in the optimal case.
Schematic of the experiment set-up of a high-temperature packed-bed solar thermochemical reactor.
- Wang, L. Li, F. Schaefer, J.J. Pottas, A. Kumar, V.M. Wheeler, W. Lipiński, Thermal reduction of iron–manganese oxide particles in a high-temperature packed-bed solar thermochemical reactor, Chemical Engineering Journal 412 (2021) 128255.
- Yang, L. Li, B. Wang, S. Li, J. Wang, P. Lund, W. Lipiński, Thermodynamic analysis of a novel solar thermochemical system with a rotating tower reflector and a fixed-bed receiver–reactor array, Frontiers in Energy Research 9 (2021) 253.
- Wang, L. Li, J.J. Pottas, R. Bader, P.B. Kreider, V.M. Wheeler, W. Lipiński, Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 142 (5) (2020).
- Li, B. Wang, J. Pye, R. Bader, W. Wang, W. Lipiński, Optical analysis of a multi-aperture solar central receiver system for high-temperature concentrating solar applications, Optics Express 28 (25) (2020) 37654-37668.
- Lipiński, E. Abbasi-Shavazi, J. Chen, J. Coventry, M. Hangi, S. Iyer, A. Kumar, L. Li, S. Li, J. Pye, J.F. Torres, B. Wang, Ye.Wang, V.M. Wheeler, Progress in heat transfer research for high-temperature solar thermal applications, Applied Thermal Engineering (2020) 116137.
- Li, B. Wang, J. Pye, W. Lipiński, Temperature-based optical design, optimization and economics of solar polar-field central receiver systems with an optional compound parabolic concentrator, Solar Energy 206 (2020) 1018-1032.
- Li, S. Yang, B. Wang, J. Pye, W. Lipiński, Optical analysis of a solar thermochemical system with a rotating tower reflector and a receiver–reactor array, Optics Express 28 (13) (2020) 19429-19445.
- Li, B. Wang, R. Bader, J. Zapata, W. Lipiński, Reflective optics for redirecting convergent radiative beams in concentrating solar applications, Solar Energy 191(2019) 707-718.
- Li, B. Wang, J. Pottas, W. Lipiński, Design of a compound parabolic concentrator for a multi-source high-flux solar simulator, Solar Energy 183 (2020) 805-811.
- Wang, B. Wang, L. Li, B. Laumert, T. Strand, The effect of the cooling nozzle arrangement to the thermal performance of a solar impinging receiver, Solar Energy 131, 222-234.