|Department of Chemical & Biomolecular Engineering, National University of Singapore, 4 Engineering Drive, Singapore, 117585|
|Phone: (+65) 88896409|
|Professional Profile: Google Scholar; ORCID|
Education and Work Experience
Research Officer, The Australian National University (ANU), Australia (2020–2021)
Ph.D., The Australian National University (ANU), Australia (2015–2020)
M.Sc., Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Germany & Uppsala University (UU), Sweden (2012–2015)
B.Eng., Zhejiang University (ZJU), China (2008–2012)
- Optics, transport phenomena and chemical reaction engineering applied to solar thermal and thermochemical systems;
- In particular, numerical and experimental studies of optics and solar receiver–reactors for high-temperature solar thermochemical processing;
- Radiative transfer, transport phenomena and cell growth kinetics of photobioreactor systems for cultivation of microalgae.
- Ongoing project (2021.11–present) on Design, Modelling and Optimisation of Photobioreactor (PBR) Systems for Cultivation of Microalgae
Figure 1: Optimisation of photobioreactor (PBR) systems via a combined methodology of numerical modelling and experimental testing.
- Research project (2020.11–2021.11) on Experimental Evaluation of a High-Temperature Solar Calcination–Carbonation Reactor Using Simulated High-Flux Solar Radiation
A packed-bed solar thermochemical reactor was experimentally tested for solar energy storage and carbon dioxide (CO2) capture using calcination–carbonation chemical-looping cycling of calcium carbonate (CaCO3). The reactor was driven by simulated high-flux solar irradiation provided by the ANU high-flux solar simulator (HFSS).
- Doctoral work (2015.04–2020.11) on Design, Modelling and Optimisation of Optical Systems for High-Temperature Concentrating Solar Applications
Optical studies were conducted for a high-flux solar simulator (HFSS) based experimental system and commercial-scale solar central receiver systems (CRSs). Optical studies of a compound parabolic concentrator (CPC) and reflective optics were performed to aid in solving the limitations and problems of the HFSS-based experimental system. Commercial-scale solar CRSs were investigated for a wide range of receiver temperatures in a low and a high power level. A proposed novel solar beam-down system with a rotating tower reflector was proposed and optically investigated.
ARTICLES IN REFEREED JOURNALS:
- L. Li, J. Coventry, R. Bader, J. Pye, and W. Lipiński, 2016. Optics of solar central receiver systems: A review. Optics Express 24(14), A985–A1007, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.24.00A985.
- W. Wang, B. Wang, L. Li, B. Laumert, and S. Torsten, 2016. The effect of the cooling nozzle arrangement to the thermal performance of a solar impinging receiver. Solar Energy 131, 222–234, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2016.02.052.
- L. Li, B. Wang, J. Pottas, and W. Lipiński, 2019. Design of a compound parabolic concentrator for a multi-source high-flux solar simulator. Solar Energy 183, 805–811, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2019.03.017.
- L. Li, B. Wang, R. Bader, J. Zapata, and W. Lipiński, 2019. Reflective optics for redirecting convergent radiative beams in concentrating solar applications. Solar Energy 191, 707–718, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2019.08.077.
- L. Li, S. Yang, B. Wang, J. Pye, and W. Lipiński, 2020. Optical analysis of a solar thermochemical system with a rotating tower reflector and a receiver–reactor array. Optics Express 28(13), 19429–19445, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.389924.
- L. Li, B. Wang, J. Pye, and W. Lipiński, 2020. Temperature-based optical design, optimisation and economics of solar polar-field central receiver systems with an optional compound parabolic concentrator. Solar Energy 206, 1018–1032, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.05.088.
- B. Wang, L. Li, R. Bader, J. Pottas, V. Wheeler, P. Kreider, and W. Lipiński, 2020. Thermal model of a solar thermochemical reactor for metal oxide reduction. Journal of Solar Energy Engineering 142, 051002, https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4046229.
- L. Li, B. Wang, J. Pye, R. Bader, W. Wang, and W. Lipiński, 2020. Optical analysis of a multiaperture solar central receiver system for high-temperature concentrating solar applications. Optics Express 28(25), 37654–37668, https://doi.org/10.1364/OE.404867.
- W. Lipiński, E. Abbasi-Shavazi, J. Chen, J. Coventry, M. Hangi, S. Iyer, A. Kumar, L. Li, S. Li, J. Pye, J. F. Torres, B. Wang, Y. Wang, and V. Wheeler, 2020. Progress in heat transfer research for high-temperature solar thermal applications. Applied Thermal Engineering 184(C), 116137, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2020.116137.
- B. Wang, L. Li, F. Schäfer, J. Pottas, A. Kumar, V. M. Wheeler, and W. Lipiński, 2021. Thermal
reduction of iron–manganese oxide particles in a high-temperature packed-bed solar thermochemical
reactor. Chemical Engineering Journal 410(C), 128255, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2020.128255.
- S. Yang, L. Li, B. Wang, S. Li, J. Wang, P. Lund, and W. Lipiński, 2021. Thermodynamic analysis of a conceptual fixed-bed solar thermochemical cavity receiver–reactor array for water splitting via ceria redox cycling. Frontiers in Energy Research 9, 253, https://doi.org/10.3389/fenrg.2021.565761.
- L. Li, J. Pottas, M. Habib, B. Wang, J. Coventry, C.-H. Wang, and W. Lipiński, 2021. Optical alignment and radiometry flux characterization of a multi-source high-flux solar simulator. Submitted to Solar Energy.
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS:
- L. Li, B. Wang, R. Bader, T. Cooper, and W. Lipiński, 2021, Concentrating collector systems for high-temperature solar thermal and thermochemical applications, in: W. Lipiński (Ed.), Advances in Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, volume 58, pp: 1–53, https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.ache.2021.10.001.
- X. Wang, F. Zhang, L. Li, H. Zhang, and S. Deng, 2021, Carbon dioxide capture, in: W. Lipiński (Ed.), Advances in Chemical Engineering, Elsevier, volume 58, pp: 297–348, https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.ache.2021.10.005.
ABSTRACTS AND EXTENDED ABSTRACTS IN CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS (SELECTED):
- L. Li, J. Pye, and W. Lipiński. Review of optical studies on central tower concentrators. In Proceedings of the OSA 2015 Light, Energy and the Environment Congress, Suzhou, China, 2–5 November 2015. Extended abstract.
- L. Li, R. Bader, and W. Lipiński. Beam-redirecting secondary optics for horizontal-axis high-flux solar simulators. In Proceedings of the 2016 Asia–Pacific Solar Research Conference, Canberra, 29 November–1 December 2016.
- L. Li, B. Wang, J. Pottas, and W. Lipiński. Application of a compound parabolic concentrator to a multi-source high-flux solar simulator. In Proceedings of the OSA 2018 Light, Energy and the Environment Congress, Sentosa Island, Singapore, 5–8 November 2018. Extended abstract.
- L. Li, B. Wang, R. Bader, W. Wang, J. Pye and W. Lipiński. Optical analysis of multi-aperture solar central receiver systems for high-temperature concentrating solar applications. In Proceedings of the 2020 SolarPACES International Symposium on Concentrating Solar Power and Chemical Energy, virtual, 29 September–2 October 2020.
- L. Li, B. Wang, J. Pye, and W. Lipiński. Concentrating collector systems for high-temperature solar thermal applications. In Proceedings of the OSA Advanced Photonics Congress, virtual, 26–30 July 2021. Extended abstract.