Technology’s Love & Hate Relationship with the Environment

Technology.

It is undeniable that technology has become an integral part of our lives. Many of us use technology every single day – it is present in our electrical devices and appliances, in the food that we eat and produces the energy that we consume. Advancements in modern technology have indeed allowed humanity to lead improved and more convenient lives.

Hello friends! Welcome to my blog! 😊

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Alicia and I am currently a year one Bachelor of Environmental Studies student at the National University of Singapore (NUS), and I will be blogging about technology and its relationship with the environment. Let me start off with a quote by Bill Gates.

“We are changing the world with technology”

Last year, Bill Gates personally picked out 10 technologies that could benefit humanity and the environment to form the 2019 MIT Technology Review’s 10 Breakthrough Technologies list. Check out his interview about the list below!

The list includes lab-grown meat and self-containing toilets where the waste generated is filtered and reused for other purposes, removing the need for a sewage system. Certainly, these technologies have the potential to positively change the world.

However, technology also brings about negative impacts. One prime example would be the First Industrial Revolution in the 1700s to the 1800s that was driven by technological advancements in the manufacturing industry, which brought about many environmental concerns. There was a surge in coal usage as a form of energy to power the manufacturing processes which resulted in an increase in air and water pollution.

It seems to me that there is a love and hate relationship between technology and the environment. This has intrigued me to investigate further and explore this relationship over the next few weeks. While I am certainly not an expert on this topic, I aim to explore deeper to gain more insights and I hope that you will join me on this journey (and maybe even gain some takeaways from my posts)!

Cheers

Alicia 😊