Hello everyone!

When I was first thinking of what to write in my next post, I wanted to target a species that was a little closer to home. Singapore, as one of the major transit hubs, tends to have many encounters with illegal wildlife trade (URL)!

Just last year, we had one of the biggest seizures of pangolin scales. At first, I tried to ask an NParks conservation manager for more input in the trade. Unfortunately, he informed me that information about this is not open to the public.

Upon investigation, I found a report by TRAFFIC. You would be amazed at the vast number and variety of species traded, which includes but is not limited to Asian bears (for their bile), pangolins, rhino horns, saiga horns, etc.

The one thing that caught my eye was that Singapore is the world’s biggest transit hub for saiga horns. Not only that, but we contribute largely to the consumption of saiga products as well (Doughty et al, 2019). The combination of poaching and climate change has devastated saiga antelopes, which are listed as critically endangered by the IUCN.

Critically endangered wild Saiga antelope (Saiga tatarica) near watering in steppe. Federal nature reserve Mekletinskii, Kalmykia, Russia, August, 2015. Source: Dreamtime

Saiga horns are often used in traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) and promoted for its “cooling effect”. I decided to investigate further and went to check out some of the products sold in supermarkets and TCM shops!

In the supermarkets, I checked out three bands – Antelope & Rhino brand cooling water, Rhinoceros brand cooling water, and Three legs cooling water. Does any of these brands seem familiar to you? Thankfully, after checking all the ingredients, none of these brands contained actual antelopes’ or rhinoceros’ horns.

*To find out more about the gypsum fibrosum and calcium, here are the links!

Unfortunately, when I went to check out the cooling water at two well-established TCM shops, both sold cooling water that indeed contained antelope horns.

Photo of cooling water containing antelope horn

As it turns out, this is the most popular choice among consumers (Theng et al, 2018). One of the reasons why people chose to consume saiga products is because they feel that it is a potent treatment for sicknesses considered “heaty” (Theng et al, 2018). Whether saiga horns really work to counteract “heatiness” is debatable.

Some of you might be wondering, how can a critically endangered species be openly consumed and traded like this at such large volumes in Singapore? This question stumped me initially as well but further digging led me to find that because the species is listed under Appendix II of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES), this allows the shop to legally sell and trade products made from the species as long as it has the government issued CITES permit (URL).

Therefore, always remember to check your cooling products for saiga horns or other derivatives of endangered species. Conservation awareness is important to save the species and decrease the demand for saiga products (Theng et al, 2018). Many do not know that the sale of their products is pushing the species to extinction so let’s try our best to raise awareness to current and potential consumers that we know of!

“Check before you buy, think before they die!”

References

Bekenov, A. B., Grachev, I. A., & Milner-Gulland, E. J. (1998). The ecology and management of the Saiga antelope in Kazakhstan. Mammal Review, 28(1), 1-52. doi:10.1046/j.1365-2907.1998.281024.x

Doughty, H., Veríssimo, D., Tan, R., Lee, J. S., Carrasco, L. R., Oliver, K., & Milner-Gulland, E. (2019). Saiga horn user characteristics, motivations, and purchasing behaviour in Singapore. doi:10.31235/osf.io/t4dp7

Theng, M., Glikman, J. A., & Milner-Gulland, E. J. (2018). Exploring saiga horn consumption in Singapore. Oryx, 52(4), 736-743. doi:10.1017/s0030605317001624