Our addiction to health

The Chinese Apothecary

Unlike most Singaporean kids, cough syrup and lozenges were medications that were completely foreign to me. My mum didn’t beat around the bush with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). She didn’t care how bitter it was going to be, whether it was palatable, or how potent it smelled; the moment she knew I was sick, she would brew a cauldron of tonics and prepare green chiretta leaves (穿心莲). I suppose the herbal tonics would’ve been my substitute for cough syrups but nothing can replace my experience with the green chiretta plant. To anyone that’s brave enough to try it, I implore you to consume about 3 fresh leaves from this plant and then courageously ride through its bitter flavour journey. Don’t sue me. 

TCM has been around for way longer than western medicine with documentation that claim its existence more than 2,200 years ago. It is the practice of balancing “qi” (气; energy) through the meridians of the body. 

Recently, the World Health Organization (WHO) included TCM into its repertoire of pharmaceuticals and treatments and while this was a tremendously significant step for TCM practitioners and users all around the world, it sparked outrage and dismay from skeptics and environmental groups. 

Skeptics argue over the lack of scientific data to support the effectiveness of TCM and some even believe that it may have started and spread the Covid-19 virus. Environmentalists contend that a nod to TCM will increase the demand for certain wildlife and worsen the poaching situation

While TCM believers may proclaim that the source of these doubts likely stem from a cultural difference (western versus eastern), locally, there seems to be an equal divide between believers and non-believers (Figure 1 and 2). 

Figure 1 (Source: Author)

Loader Loading…
EAD Logo Taking too long?

Reload Reload document
| Open Open in new tab

Figure 2 (Source: Author)

The intrinsic value of medication is irrefutable and for us to redefine it to become more sustainable, we need to be more accepting of its alternative practices. Through the next few weeks, I will discuss the dialectic philosophies surrounding the use of TCM and its relation to the environment by adopting the most common considerations in determining the health of an individual – the mind, body and soul.

I hope you’ll continue to join me on this healing journey and explore the worlds of alternative medication. See you next week!

« »