[RA Spotlight] Clement Tan: Bringing PGPR R1 Together

Resident Assistants (RAs) are always around us – safeguarding what we call our homes, giving us tips about on-campus living, and organizing events to contribute to the vibrant residential community – but we seldom get to know about them as a person. Meet Clement Tan, one of our RAs at Prince George’s Park Residence (PGPR), and learn about what it’s like to be an RA and why you should consider becoming one yourself!

Hi Clement, first, please tell us about yourself. What is your major, which year of study are you in, and where are you working as a Residential Assistant (RA)?

Clement)

Hello! I’m a Year 3 Chemistry major, and I’m an RA in PGPR, Residence 1.

Academics-wise, I love spending time in the lab and running experiments (Don’t judge me!). I’m currently working on an electrochemistry project: converting carbon dioxide back to fuels using metallic catalysts. Hopefully one day we’ll manage to solve our shortage of fuels using this technology.

Having come from a choral background (I spent 6 years in choir; Victoria School and Victoria Junior College), I also really love music! My favourite genres include choral, indie, progressive house and mando-pop, depending on my mood. Other hobbies include playing football, and of course, DotA!

Clement charming the crowd at the annual Residential Leaders Appreciation Dinner 2016, Royals Bistro, University Town

Sounds like you have a wide range of hobbies and interests! So what made you interested in becoming an RA?

Clement)

I first heard of this position through a friend, who was also intending to apply, and like most applicants, I was deeply enticed by free accommodation! That aside, of course I had other reasons to apply.  I felt like my life on campus needed some vibrancy, and that NUS had much more to offer than just academics. I decided to take this as an opportunity to develop myself outside of the school curriculum, to experience new things and to make new friends, and looking back on the past year and a half, I’m glad to say that I’ve achieved all three! 😀

That’s really great to hear! What do you usually do as an RA? What are some of your key responsibilities?

Clement)

An RA has a multitude of responsibilities, most of which lie in the residence.

First and foremost, our primary role is to take care of the residents in our blocks, ensuring that their welfare is well-taken care of. We do our utmost to make their stay on campus safe, engaging and vibrant.

Second, we plan and organize many events, to create opportunities for residents to enrich their campus lives. Events span an array of genres, from sporting activities like martial arts and yoga to IT courses in Photoshop. We try to keep these activities as fresh and interesting as much as possible. For example, last year, my team at R1 organised a Light Saber Dueling workshop, where participants used Star Wars-esque light sabers to learn martial arts. They came with custom lights and sounds and we dueled in the dark to The Imperial March in the background! How awesome is that?

Apart from resident-centric responsibilities, RAs have to attend many training courses and workshops, such as crisis management, pastoral care, and even public speaking and grooming! This is all part of upgrading our skills, in order to stay relevant. We then apply these skills and knowledge in our day-to-day duties, so that we may serve the residents better.

A Mini Star Wars: Lightsaber Dueling Workshop at R1

It seems that you put in a lot of effort, I would love to live in a residence that is so vibrant as yours. What would you say is most rewarding about being an RA?

Clement)

Personally, I love it best whenever I see residents enjoying themselves during an event we organised. I fondly recall two memories: one during the 100MIN Sports Taster: Lightsaber Dueling and another during a Laughter Yoga session. During the Lightsaber Dueling session, looking at how excited everyone was about wielding a lightsabre and enthusiastically participating in the workout exercises really made my day. The atmosphere, coupled with the Star Wars soundtrack in the background, made it the best event I’ve ever had the pleasure of organising. Laughter Yoga was another event organised by R1, and it was an event where participants played silly games and laughed their hearts out. Seeing how happy the residents were and the appreciation they showed towards us really brought a smile to my face.

We all know that being an RA isn’t all smiles 24/7. It may involve some conflicts with residents as well, when you’re ensuring that everyone adheres to the housing rules. What are some challenges you’ve run into in this aspect?

Clement)

I believe all RAs find it a challenge to balance maintaining an amiable relationship with residents while enforcing housing rules. On one hand, we want to be on good terms and close to our residents. Yet on the other, we must assume a firm stance on any “illegal” activities. However, I feel that as long as you show that you are firm, yet fair, most residents will be understanding, cooperative and bear no hard feelings. There are always a couple of people who are going to hold grudges against you. So I guess that in this role, you learn that it is impossible to satisfy everyone, and it’s something you have to come to terms with.

Clement charming the crowd once again as an emcee, at a mass Cluster Leader Training Session at PGPR

What are your favorite hobbies, and how do you manage your time so that you can have fun and fulfill your RA responsibilities at the same time?

Clement)

I love playing football and following the Premier League! I occasionally play futsal with a couple of my friends on Sundays, and almost religiously follow all the matches in the EPL. Other than that, I spend a lot of time in the lab, and also mentoring in the Special Programme in Science.

I would think that the majority of an RA’s commitment comes before the semester, where extensive planning of the semester’s events and training workshops are carried out. There’s not much planning work left during the semester, except ensuring the smooth execution of the events. Also, most of the dates have already been set before the beginning of the semester, so you just have to note them down and keep them free. Other than that, an RA’s responsibilities don’t swallow all your time, as what people may imagine. Of course, this is assuming that there are no major emergencies or cases that pop up during the semester!

Also, RAs all work in teams, and you can bet that we have each other’s backs. So, whenever one of us has assignments due or is terribly busy, we can always count on our team mates and RADs to help us out.

Clement and his RA teammates at a Valentine’s Day event in PGPR

Clement at the Residential Leaders’ Camp 2015 in Bintan, Indonesia

Finally, do you have any words of advice to those who wish to become RAs in the future?

Clement)

As the saying goes:

Life begins where your comfort zone ends.

If you want your campus life to be more meaningful and fulfilling, and wish to make a difference in your fellow residents’ lives, take the plunge and join our big, happy team! You’ll be presented with many opportunities, new experiences and an amazing campus experience, and I guarantee you won’t regret it!

If you’re interested to become an RA, stay tuned to our official website and Facebook page for more details on recruitment exercises!

parksehyun