A Collector’s Recollections

My, my, how time flies! It seems we are in the endgame now…

Back when I first drafted the introductory post, I remember feeling apprehensive about my blog topic, as this was the first time I was publicly opening up about my hobby. Sure, I’ve been posting toy photographs on Instagram since 2016, but I’ve never explicitly shared it with friends and family. The reason behind this was because of past encounters with the stigmatization surrounding my hobby; That toys are for children and as an adult, I shouldn’t be indulging in such a childish pastime. I’m grateful for your support and acceptance of my passion, and hope you got a little kick out of my toy photographs!

That being said, this blogging journey has shown me the multitude of environmental perspectives that can be found from my hobby. It was deeply insightful to learn how a small action figure could have such a big impact on the environment. Not just in terms of resources required for its production, but also from the ideologies it represents, the behaviors it induced, and the values it imparts, all of which influences our relationship with the environment and subsequently, our response to the climate crisis.

I’ve always known the monetary cost of my hobby, but now I know its environmental cost!

Will I completely give up my hobby? Probably not if I’m being completely honest. It’s a pastime that I really enjoy, and I am trying to make it more environmentally friendly! I’m focusing less on buying new figures (their prices aren’t going down anyway) and focusing more on customizing the ones I already have!

One of my first ever custom creations, kitbashed and repainted from existing figures!

I’m no artist, but I do my best!

Other ways of I’m making my hobby greener is by upcycling old packaging and turning them into diorama pieces. If you’re interested, you can check them out at the BESDrongos blog!

It’s been quite the self-reflective journey, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you for travelling it with me!

Take care and take it easy!

-Joseph Wee

6 thoughts on “A Collector’s Recollections

1. Hi Joseph!

Was really happy you shared your hobby even though you feel it’s stigmatized! It’s really nice to see that you would be making your hobby more enviromental friendly. I’m interested to know if there are more environmental friendly figurines, but at a more expensive price, would you purchase them?

Thank you for sharing your hobby!

Cheers
    Rachel ong

1. Hey Rachel Ong!

If the figurine is detailed enough, is environmentally friendly and is transparent on how it is sustainably made, then I would definitely purchase it! Even if it is at a higher price!

Hope you enjoyed my posts and thanks for reading them!

Cheers,
      Joseph.

2. Hello Joseph!

Thanks for introducing to us the beauty of toy photography and enlightening us about the environmental issues surrounding this hobby! It was really enjoyable to read your blog and I dare say it gave me a whole new perspective of toy photography 🙂 By the way, could I ask how you created the second last photo? (It looks super cool, as if you caught the toy in motion HAHAAAH)

– Jo

1. Hey Jo!

I’m glad you enjoyed my blog and thank you for your great comments! I enjoyed reading you blog as well and learning about the environmental issues and fixes for a cafe! As for the second last photo, it was a lot of effort to create TBH! I made a display stand out of a broken clothes hanger and used it to prop the figure against the wall. Then I took the photo and used a special effects app (LensFX), adobe photoshop app (free version) and a blurring effect app (Blur) to create the special effects. Hats off to the visual effects and CGI artists and animators! Their work is similar in concept but WAY more complex than my humble toy photo!

Cheers!
      Joseph.

3. Hi Joseph!

WOW that sounds complicated but the end product is really superb! Looking forward to more of these cool pictures on your instagram 🙂

– Jo

4. Joseph,

I have LOVED your blog. This was one of the most unique pieces of work a student has ever done and you’re super talented. Please don’t stop blogging.

jc