The team 2019

NUS FACULTY

Originally from Montreal, Québec, I’m an ecologist and conservation biologist, with a specialisation in urban wildlife in general and bats in particular, though I’ve also worked with raptors and other animals. Currently, my main research project focuses on street dogs in Singapore – a study of their population biology and ecology, but most of my students work on urban projects related to urban wildlife and the human-Nature connection. One of the best things about my job (and indeed, a key reason why I joined BES in 2012) is the chance to be involved in experiential education. You could say that ENV 3102 is a bit like my baby, because building it from scratch and running it has been the most challenging but satisfying thing I’ve ever done professionally. Yes, it’s a lot of work to plan, but seeing it come together each year is awesome, and my reward is the chance to spend uninterrupted, quality time overseas with my students, where I get to see them learn and do new things in the field on their own. This year, I’m most excited about finally taking a group of students I started teaching in year 1. You can read more about my teaching and research here, but my other passions include music, dance, skiing, diving, hiking and travel. Oh, and maple syrup… on everything, please. JOANNA COLEMAN, COURSE COORDINATOR & SENIOR LECTURER

I am an ecologist, but more specifically, my main area of interest is in freshwater ecology. Oh… and I am also a physical geographer and I also dabble in marine ecology. I have often used innovative experiments to increase our understanding of the various ecological interactions that occur within the freshwater and marine ecosystems. Field trips and field work are a lot of fun and you get to learn so much more when you’re outside applying various skills and knowledge. Although this is going to be my first ENV3102 trip to Bohol, I’m looking forward to working with you all! SORAIN RAMCHUNDER, LECTURER

TEACHING ASSISTANTS (TAs)

I am an associate professor from Holy Name University (HNU), Tagbilaran City, Bohol. I’ve been working at HNU for more than a decade, teaching the Natural Sciences, especially Biology. I’ve mentored students in their research and taught them to conduct simple field assessments in terrestrial and marine ecosystems. My greatest passion as a teacher involves instilling in my students the importance of environmental protection, and hopefully molding them into agents of change for sustainability. To further my teaching career and my personal interest in marine biology, I pursued my PhD (Biology) at the University of San Carlos in Cebu, and I’ve just finished it. My dissertation focused on Philippine scads (fishes) – their morphological and molecular identification and the population genetics and dynamics of one species. I am hoping that in the near future, my research (and I intend to expand into reproductive biology) will eventually contribute to conserving fishery resources in our region. I’m looking forward to being involved once again with NUS and am thrilled to meet all of you in May. – CHARINA I. NARIDO. Joanna here – Charina has been deeply involved with ENV3102 since the beginning, helping to lead and teach the course.

I am a professor and a leading research biologist at Bohol Island State University (BISU), Philippines. I have been conducting research on bats and other fauna for over a decade. I did many education campaigns on biodiversity conservation in several public schools and universities in Bohol. From these surveys, I developed my own education workshops in which I trained nearly 10 teachers (from different schools) who subsequently trained other teachers and students. Among my other faculty duties, I assisted undergraduate students from BISU and other schools and universities in learning and practicing research methods for assessing biodiversity, particularly on bats, frogs and birds, that clearly make my field data collection available to the public. My passion is to contribute to the optimum conservation of natural resources in general for the sustenance of human civilization. – REIZL PAMAONG-JOSE. Joanna here – Reizl has been involved with ENV3102 since the beginning, and as a TA since 2015.

I hold a BSc in Environmental Management (Terrestrial Ecosystems) from Visayas State University (VSU), in Visca, Leyte. After graduation, I worked at Energy Development Corporation (EDC) as Technical Field Staff and as a Science Research Assistant at the Institute of Tropical Ecology, where I got trained in Natural Resource Management and Long Term Ecological Research (ILTER). In 2016, I obtained my Master of Science in Tropical Ecology from VSU. Since the beginning of this academic year, I have been teaching at Bohol Island State University (BISU). I’ve never traveled outside the Philippines, though I plan to pursue my PhD in Europe. – WILBERT A. AUREO. Joanna here – Wilbert has been an ENV3102 TA since 2015.

I am from Tagbilaran City, Bohol, Philippines, and am currently taking a Master of Science in Biology at the University of San Carlos, in Cebu. I have experience conducting fieldwork related to identifying terrestrial vertebrates (anurans, birds and bats), and have participated in cave bat assessments in Bohol, along with surveys on their importance to the locality. I also used to work as a secondary school teacher and as a research assistant for a fish pond facility under the Bureau of Fisheries. My undergraduate thesis was on the diversity of cave bats in relation to cave roosting area and microclimate, as part of increasing local awareness of the importance of the presence of bats in caves. Due to the subjects I’m currently enrolled in, I’m taking (and enjoying) my time learning about plant taxonomy as well. I very much look forward to being a part of the field course. Cheers! – TED MIKKO A. AYENG. Joanna here – Ted has been an ENV3102 TA since 2018.

I am in my last year of the Bachelor of Environmental Studies (Environmental Geography). I attended the Bohol field course last year, and it was definitely one of the greatest highlights of my BES experience. I hope it will be yours too! I recently completed my Honours Thesis on a discourse analysis of how plastic has been constructed as an environmental problem. Feel free to ask me about it, I’d be happy to talk about my experience. Besides all things nature, the environment and sustainability, I enjoy community engagement work, learning about art and culture, and practicing yoga. I also have an irrational fear of needles. I am looking forward to getting to know all of you better and helping you make the best out of your time in Bohol! NICOLE LIM PEI PEY. OK Nicole, we’ll hide the needles !

As I pursued my BES degree (Environmental Geography), I had the chance to work on various projects related to different aspects of sustainable development. Having benefitted greatly from this module as a student last year, I hope to add value to your experience this year. ENV3102 provides an opportunity to contemplate difficult questions revolving around sustainable development based on first-hand experience, as opposed to desk research which we are almost too familiar with. And that is why I am back this year! For nerdy and honest conversations with passionate people to conclude my university experience. I look forward to working with and learning from everyone this summer! The projects I have been involved in are listed in my LinkedIn Profile, hit me up if you would like to find out more! NG JING YI, VENESSA

I am finishing my last semester with the BES (NVB) programme, and it has been an awesome experience. I have had my fair share of fieldwork experiences over the past year, including Bohol. My main interests lie in aquatic ecology, and I am now finishing my FYP, which looks at the autecology of the marbled gudgeon, Oxyeleotris marmorata (apparently a very tasty fish) – a project that gave me the opportunity to conduct stream and reservoir surveys in many sites around Singapore. Besides the outdoors, I love being active and playing sports. This is my first time helping with this module, but I hope I can impart some knowledge and have fun along the way. Looking forward to meeting the group! POOVENTHRAN (POOVEN) MURUGA

Hello everyone! I will have finished my last year in BES by the time we see each other in person (I hope). My experience in Bohol was epic, and I am looking forward to sharing that experience with you! I have dabbled in quite a few things, from R and maple coding, to GIS programs and even environmental engineering models. I am now working on land optimisation in Myanmar’s Tanintharyi region, for my FYP. Outside of schoolwork I do cheerleading, dragonboating and volunteer as the part of the Marine-Coastal Group in Nature Society (Singapore). I like to share stupid laughs and deep conversations about life so feel free to start up a conversation. Until then, be happy and stay weird. BRYAN LEONG PO IAN