Unsung Heroes #2 – Jackie from SuperSnacks

We are back with the second installation of the Unsung Heroes series! This time, we feature Jackie Tan, an unsung hero much like a well-known superhero, Batman. During the day, he is just your regular NUS Year 4 Engineering student. But just like Batman, he transforms into his double identity during the night – a SuperSnacks employee, providing late night snacks for hungry residents! If you live in Prince George’s Park Residences (PGPR) or King Edward VII Hall, you’ve probably heard or tried SuperSnacks before. It is a supper place in PGPR which opens daily from 7 PM till 1 AM. But how much do you know about their employees and what’s going on behind the counter? Read on and check out Jackie’s story!

2

Photo courtesy of Jackie Tan

What are your main responsibilities in SuperSnacks? How long have you worked there?

I am currently the assistant chef and my main responsibilities include preparing and cooking the food served in SuperSnacks. Occasionally, I also have to help out with some administrative duties concerning the employees at SuperSnacks. This is my seventh semester working in SuperSnacks. I started in Year 1 Semester 2 as a front of house employee, then slowly made my way up to my current position.

How many days per week do you work? How many hours per day?

Right now I work at SuperSnacks for four  days a week, about eight  hours a day.

Why did you decide to work here?

I needed additional allowance so I decided to take up this job on campus, as it is convenient for me.

Are you involved in other activities in school? CCAs?

Nope, I am not involved in other activities or CCAs as right now the job at SuperSnacks already requires a lot of commitment from me.

So you’re in your final year doing Final Year Project (FYP), can you tell us about your FYP?

My FYP is trying to help students understand how to learn more efficiently and effectively. It involves going around asking students on their views about the department and the style of teaching and then trying to think of how we can help them to be motivated to learn and enjoy their academic journey in NUS.

You must be very busy with school as you’re graduating soon.How do you juggle school and work? Especially since you work in SuperSnacks at unearthly hours – how do you have the energy to still go to school the next day?

This is the first semester that I am working four days a week. For the previous semester, , I only have to work one  night per week. So I just have to make sure that when I work, I do not have any lesson at 8AM or 10AM the next day. Right now I do not have many lessons in the morning, so I can work more without worrying about not getting enough sleep.

What is the work hierarchy like in SuperSnacks?

We have three employees working the front of house: the cashier, the waffle maker and the person-in-charge or IC for the night. The IC is in charge of ensuring that operations for the night run smoothly and is usually the person to sort out any issues with customers. The kitchen simply has to cook the food according to the orders of the customers and pack it before having the IC bring it out of the kitchen and passing it over to the customers.

Can you tell us about your hobbies and talents?

I like to  discover new places with nice food and also play video games! I don’t think that I have any skills that are so good that it can be considered as a talent though… How about my cooking skills, since I’m an assistant chef now?

Any words for your juniors and fellow students? What have you learnt from the years in NUS?

You should set  a goal or multiple goals that you will work towards. It is not ideal to procrastinate because the pace in NUS is really fast, and there are so many things happening that you can take advantage of. Enjoy yourself while you are here. Remember that academic results are not everything and do not define you – if it can get you to the place that you want to be, then it is good enough. Stay contented and happy!

If you’ve never tried SuperSnacks before, you’re missing out – they sell tasty food at affordable price; their mushroom burger, served with fries, is priced at only $3.80! Thank you Jackie and the rest of SuperSnacks employees for satisfying our late-night starvation! 🙂

Arintha