Why The (8) Reasons Why

I hope you have a better understanding of the whys and me.

I live to listen to what others have to say, and share our conversation with others. SOURCE: AUTHOR

When I knew I was going to blog with a theme, the first thing that came into my mind was to conduct interviews with people who are passionate about the environment. Frankly, all I ever care about then was about how fun it would be to conduct and transcribe interviews.

True enough, I really enjoyed interviewing people from different backgrounds, but admittedly, I had my fair share of struggles too. Initially, it was all about who to interview and how I would like my blog to look like. Then, it became when and where can I do my interviews. In the end, I was more concern with the content of the transcripts and posts I would like to produce.

I love Playback Theatre because it teaches you to listen empathetically. SOURCE: AUTHOR

Thankfully, everything about this blog falls into place somehow, in the midst of deadlines and drama rehearsals. I hope you still remember that in my first post on this blog, I wrote:

in life, things will always fall into place, and they always happen for a reason.

Truthfully, the current structure of my interview posts is very different from the plan I had initially. But I am grateful that those changes happened — all for the better.

So how is this post relevant to the environment? Maybe it isn’t at all.

But time sure flies! It’s been 11 weeks since the start of my journey as a student in the Environmental Studies programme, and the most evident change I see in myself is my increased level of engagement in discussions on environmental issues — especially on plastic usage. I know that plastics may not be the most critical environmental problem, but I believe it’s one of the simpler issues which we should start tackling.

That said, I am still not the kind of environmentalist who advocates vehemently on the street, nor do I intend to be one. I believe, if we hate the idea of others forcing their ideologies down our throats, perhaps we should

do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

At the end of the day, always choose to have courage, and be kind. I think these are important qualities that one should possess, which are also vital in our attempt to mitigate our impacts on the environment. Why? Because you need to have the courage to stand firm in what you believe in, even when people disagree with you or condemn you for your actions. And of course, choose kindness because kindness always wins.

I hope over the past weeks, I have shared something meaningful with you. It’s truly a joy having this other platform to blog about the things that interest me, and I would like to thank you for always being so patient with me. Most importantly, thank you for exposing me to different perspectives by sharing your opinions with me.

And my biggest takeaway? Tackling environmental issues isn’t as simple as we perceive. But if there are two aspects of the society that demands our attention — it has to be the social and environmental aspects.

P.S. This isn’t the end.