Reflections on Sungei Pandan Mangroves and Mangrove Trash

Hello guys! Last week Sarah-Ann posed me a thought-provoking question regarding trash accumulating in our mangroves, and coincidentally last Saturday I went down to Sungei Pandan Mangroves to participate in a cleanup organized by the BES Student Committee. So I thought it would be really apt to reflect on this issue this week while the experience is still fresh in my mind.

On Saturday, we began our cleanup at the Sungei Pandan Mangroves at around 2pm. The tide was high and just beginning to recede, hence my 3-person group’s area of responsibility was limited to only about a 15m stretch of the upper shore. Yet, the moment we entered the vegetation and set foot onto the mangrove shore, it was clear to me that we were going to have quite a bit of work to do!

Sungei Pandan Mangroves, a relatively small patch of mangrove forests situated just beside an industrial estate.
Source: Google Maps

While it wasn’t like those horror pictures on the internet of beaches covered in plastic bags, distinct pieces of litter were immediately visible, especially in patches overgrown with roots and branches. My group and I spent the next hour or so attempting to pick as much trash as we could, while documenting on a data sheet how many of each kind we collected. The most common items we found were food wrappers, kopi takeaway bags, straws and cigarette boxes.

After everything was done, we had a little conversation with Prof N Sivasothi, our locally renowned Otterman, who shared with us some insights into the situation there. He told us that what we experienced was only a “low load” of litter, as cleanups were conducted at least annually. If that was a “low load”, I shudder to imagine what a “high load” would look like! He also mentioned that the trash tended to be washed in from the sea, from as far away as the Riau Archipelago.

Looking back, I infer that the trash in Sungei Pandan Mangroves comes from 2 main sources, namely from people who physically litter there, and washed-in marine litter/debris. Perhaps because my group worked on the upper shore which is above the high-tide line, we mainly picked up litter deposited in-situ by workers from the adjacent industrial estates who go there to “chill”. My course-mates who worked on the lower shore later on reported that their most commonly found litter was “broken-down debris”, particularly styrofoam and plastic pieces, which probably belong to the latter category of trash.

Litter collected by our BES students over 4 hours. Well done BES!
Photo credits: Joseph Wee

What do these mean to us? We cannot blame our mangrove trash solely on washed-in marine debris. Instead, we need to be acutely aware that our local littering habits can also be a major contributor to the issue. Hence, we must advocate for more responsible litter disposal.

Now back to my thoughts on mangrove trash. In my reply to Sarah-Ann, I raised the idea of utilizing our mangroves as a natural filter to collect marine debris, which we can periodically clear as part of efforts to clean up our coastal trash. My main gripe with this is the excessive trampling that could occur from overly frequent cleanup projects. Studies have shown that human trampling into mangroves can cause significant reduction in quality and quantity of mangrove roots, as well as adversely impact the macrofauna present (Ross, 2006). If mangrove cleanups were to happen too regularly, this impact would inevitably be of considerable significance. There is limited research available on the negative impacts of mangrove cleanups, but my take on this now is that it is not feasible to treat our mangroves as a natural “dustpan”. The ecological cost would be too high, and ecosystems are usually best left untouched. Rather, the best we can do is to have a basal level of tolerance to “low loads” of litter, while conducting cleanups just regularly enough to keep litter level at a minimum.

See you all next week! Cheers!

References

Ross, P. M. (2006). Macrofaunal loss and microhabitat destruction: The impact of trampling in a temperate mangrove forest, NSW Australia [Article]. Wetlands Ecology and Management, 14(2), 167-184. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11273-005-7552-y

5 thoughts on “Reflections on Sungei Pandan Mangroves and Mangrove Trash

1. Hi Marcus,

Interesting how cleanups need to be managed properly to reduce their effect on the habitat. I wonder if it is possible to weigh the benefits of a cleanup against the drawbacks in planning where and how often to hold cleanups.

I saw many beer cans during the cleanup too. At first I was quite puzzled as to why people were drinking in the mangroves. Rather, it could be that they throw the cans into the mangrove from the roadside. What do you think of the suggestion to plant more trees at the mangrove fringes as mentioned during the briefing?

1. Hi Ee Kin, thank you for your comment! Yes, I do believe that it is possible to assess the pros and cons of mangrove cleanups using a proper environmental impact assessment, but as of now such a study has yet to be conducted in Singapore. On the point of beer cans, I do think that it is possible that people do actually go to the mangroves to drink. Personally, I live near the Tampines Quarry, a vegetated area that closely resembles Sungei Pandan except that it does not have mangroves. On my fishing trips there, I do encounter similar kinds of trash, from beer cans and cigarette packs to styrofoam boxes. There have even been past reports of people engaging in hunting there, as written in this article: https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/shocking-remains-animals-apparently-eaten-tampines-quarry. Barring any form of judgement though, I do believe that there are people, possibly foreign workers, who like to go to these kinds of areas to chill and drink as they are a refuge from the hustle and bustle of urban Singapore. I’m sorry I did not catch this suggestion during the briefing, but in my opinion, I think that is a good idea as it would provide a buffer between the mangroves and the main road, with little to no cost to other ecosystems or stakeholders.

2. Hi Marcus,

I love how you took my feedback on your response to Sarah-Ann’s contribution on your last post, but then did something even better.

This post is great.

If I may ask about this…

“distinct pieces of litter were immediately visible, especially in patches overgrown with roots and branches”

I want to understand – are you saying that mangroves can actually become ‘overgrown’ to the point it poses a problem ? If so, why does that happen and what type of factors do you notice contributing to this ? If not, and it was just a figure of speech, never mind.

Thanks,

jc

1. Hi Dr Coleman, thank you for your kind words! When I wrote ‘overgrown’ in this case, I was just trying to describe the scene from my memory, without thinking too much about the implications of the word, so to me it was a figure of speech. However, this is an interesting consideration. I feel that mangroves may have a tendency to be ‘overgrown’, that is just the nature of an ecosystem left to flourish on its own, it will not be perfect and it will have its own checks and balances. That said, I don’t think that it is a problem and I believe we should leave overgrown patches to sort themselves out, because like in my reply to Sarah-Ann, I believe that the issue of “litter being trapped in overgrown patches” is the fault of anthropogenic litter and not the mangroves themselves, so the former should be addressed rather than the latter.

2. Thanks for clarifying.

Your response makes me wonder if this is one more linguistic difference between SG & Canada because I don’t think Canadians would use the word that way.

I just asked my husband (admittedly n = 1) what ‘overgrown’ means to him when used to describe vegetation. He said “it makes me think of a neglected urban garden, as opposed to natural vegetation, like a forest, which can’t be overgrown.”

Interesting, no ?