Why turn towards psychology?

Hi everybody! If you are a returning reader, I am glad that you have found interest in my blog’s topic and I would love to hear you opinions in the comments after you read this week’s post!

Firstly, let me address the elephant in the room. Why should we to turn towards psychology, when we are concerned with the environment? Wouldn’t geography, biology or the likes be the field of study we should focus on in order to better protect our earth?

While I admit that psychology does not directly translate to better understanding the inner workings and systems of our planet, it does however have everything to do with human behaviour. And just what is the true illness that plagues the earth? Humans.

Comic panel by Dan Piraro 

Many environmental concerns arise due to human activities. Hence, rather than trying to isolate one problem and tackling it directly, it may be more beneficial to better understand human psychology and address the main culprit.

However, this is much easier said than done. Ironically, humans do not even fully comprehend how our own minds work.

What we do know however, is that the first step to better understanding the full scale of environmental issues is to adopt the “Systems thinking” mindset – our earth is a huge ecosystem after-all. This involves viewing our world as a system and understanding that an outcome is caused by various factors and actions (Arnold & Wade, 2015).

For example, I believe we can agree that obesity is not just due to a lack of exercise. It also involves other lifestyle habits such as diet and even that is influenced by income, food accessibility, etc. The problem is a complex “system” and therefore, a solution of “exercise more” is not able to fully address the issue.

Self-drawn illustration

The system gets much more complicated when it comes to our environmental crises. It is not as simple as telling countries “Hey, reduce your CO2 emissions to slow down global warming!”. In fact, we can see how this solution is not effective when the majority of the countries that signed the 2015 Paris Climate Agreement are not even near meeting their targeted reduction of CO2 emission levels, despite having capacity to do so (National Geographic, 2019).

Self-drawn illustration

It is my belief that these numerous small “unidentified gears” are psychological.

There is a significant association between adopting systems thinking and being more concerned about climate change (Lezak & Thibodeau, 2016), and perhaps this comes from awareness of the causes and clearer understanding of the consequences. This is interesting information, as I believe concern is the first step towards promoting eco-friendly behaviour.

So how do we improve our systems thinking? Well firstly, we need to establish connections between cause and effect by asking questions and learning more about the things we tend to gloss over.

In future blogs, I will be trying to ask questions that will help us develop this “systems thinking” and come to understand the fuller picture.

2 thoughts on “Why turn towards psychology?

1. Hi Jia Wei,
    I really love your analogy of the psychological behavioural being the “unidentified” gears. It is like the “missing piece” to get the entire gear set moving. Representing the challenges with combating climate change as a gear system is ingenious! Hope I can learn more regarding this “systems thinking” from you!
    -Jian Xi

1. Hey Jian Xi, glad to hear that you like the illustration! To be honest I only came across this “systems thinking” term by chance during my research, but I feel that most of us are practicing it unknowingly. Hopefully in the next few blogs I can find ways to promote this way of thinking and help us be more conscious of it!