What Now?

Hey there!
flowerJust a few months ago, I wasn’t as environmentally-conscious as I am now. I didn’t know how drastic some of my consumption patterns could impact the environment. However, through this module, I have learnt so much about the impacts of our actions and the urgency for a change in the way we live. Through small actions in our daily lives like bringing our own lunch boxes to takeaway food, we can do our part in ensuring that damage to the environment can be reduced.

People were shocked by my drastic change in the way I live which of course lead to doubts regarding the genuity of my actions. There are times which I am disheartened when people just dismiss my behaviour. If I cannot influence the people whom I am close to (my family and friends), how am I going to influence others and make a positive change for the environment?

This brings to the topic of influence.

For the past 3 months, I have brought up some of the development, benefits and issues regarding the greenery in Singapore. Throughout my blogging journey, there have been many times that I question myself. I have spoken a lot about the issues we face, how we prioritize artificial greenery over natural sites, how certain ecologically valuable sites have to make way for development…

But I wonder, what gives me the right to speak up and influence others? As someone who still has a lot of learn, do I really have the power to make a change for the better?

What exactly can I do as an Environmental Studies student?
What exactly can we do as Singaporeans?

Some people feel that they do not have the power or the ability to protect our sites. After all, it is usually the authorities or the higher-ups who would have the final say in the usage of the land. But the very fact is, they do listen to us. As leaders, they have to listen to our needs. We are the ones who would influence their actions. The most prominent example would be Chek Jawa. If not for the public’s opposition, awareness would not have been created about the beauty of this site and Chek Jawa could possibly be gone due to reclamation by now.

This brings me back to what Dr Peter Ng have mentioned during the talk last Monday: If people do care and love these natural sites, there is no need to worry because it is unlikely that they will be taken away.

This is the power of our voice. This collective voice is the very basis of influence. Only then can progress be made to protect these natural sites and move towards a ‘truly green Singapore’.

Right now the best thing we can do is to come together to speak up when we see a plan that we know would damage the environment. It all comes down to knowing what is the right thing to do.

Don’t be afraid to be speak up.

Cheers!
♣ Johanah

Published byJohanah Seow

NUS student majoring in Environmental Studies

8 Comments

• thamhuihui

November 8, 2016 at 2:24 pm Reply

Hey Johannah, really enjoyed reading your reflections over here! Indeed, the power of collective voice! And the hope that we can make a difference one step at a time! Somehow, your post reminded me of this story: http://www.agiftofinspiration.com.au/stories/attitude/starfish.shtml .

• Johanah Seow

November 8, 2016 at 11:17 pm Reply

Hi Hui Hui,
      Glad that you enjoyed it! 🙂 I feel that it will be challenging but having hope is really important and I guess there is no harm trying as well!
      Thank you for sharing this beautiful story! It is really inspirational!

• Xiao Tong

November 10, 2016 at 1:54 pm Reply

Hi Johanah!

I really enjoyed your sincere reflections here. I agree that speaking up will be an effective method in getting policy makers to listen to us but at the same time, I was reminded of one the ENV1101 lecture. There was once if Dr. Coleman asked if anyone of us will do anything more than just using our mouth, pen or paper to protect our environment and the class fell to dead silence. That made me wonder what if this collective voice of people who wish to protect the environment gets drowned out by the collective voice of people in our country who rather see economic growth rather than protect that patch of nature space? Is there anything else we can do?

I honestly don’t have an answer to that either but I would like to hear your thoughts about this!

-Xiao Tong

• Johanah Seow

November 10, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reply

Hi Xiao Tong,
      Thank you for reading this post, I’m pleased that you enjoyed it too!
      It would be really unfortunate and disappointing if people in our country prioritize economic growth. Unfortunately, I don’t have an answer to that either. But I believe that there is not much we can do except to change their perspectives and influence them to protect the environment instead. Public awareness about the environment would be really crucial in this aspect. It came to me whether we can actually use feelings of nostalgia to evoke their emotions and encourage them to conserve. Before I wander off any further away from your question, I just wanted to say that awareness is very vital because I feel that there is not much that could be done if the majority of the people in this country view economic growth as more important. I could only think of ways to change the public’s opinions but this is the best I could think of for now. This does not sound like a satisfying answer but I really hope there is more that can be done if the power of collective voice work against the environment. Perhaps, there is way to get out of this, just that we have not think of a way yet.
      – Johanah

• Tan Boxin

November 11, 2016 at 10:47 am Reply

Hi Johanah,

As I was reading this post, I reflected on how much I have changed since the start of my BES journey. Honestly, although I did not make any major changes to my lifestyle currently (e.g. turning vegetarians, etc), I did indeed made some minor changes to my lifestyle. I tried to sort out my trash at home and aim to at least influence my family on the importance of recycling.

When I come to think about why did I even start to think about trash sorting, I came to realize that it is due to the people around me (BES students and lecturers). It is the constant interaction between them that had influenced me in to start this small effort recycling effort at home rather than only do it due to convenience. Thus, I believe that if there are more people with same opinion and mindset toward the environmental problems we are facing right now, more of such ‘green’ effort will be observed.

Boxin

• Johanah Seow

November 11, 2016 at 1:16 pm Reply

Hey Boxin 🙂

It is comforting to know the changes that we had over this course. Even though the changes that we had are not major, I believe that this is the beginning to promoting a bigger change. After all, one small step begins the journey of a thousand miles! 😉 Thank you for sharing your opinions about this! Even though I still find it challenging to influence my friends and family to do likewise, I am glad that the BES community is all in this together! (It sounds really cringeworthy but it is true) I guess being optimistic is also important because mindsets of people are really hard to change. However, this does not mean that we should give up. Instead, we should try different methods to convince and influence the people around us to change their lifestyles.

– Johanah

• kaix295

November 11, 2016 at 5:07 pm Reply

Hi Johanah, similarly I was like you when I first joined BES, not being environmentally conscious at all and not well-versed in the impacts of anthropogenic activities. However, as time goes by, I have learnt to be more responsible in my actions by using reusable utensils when having takeaways for example. I am glad that you are starting to change your way of living as well to do your part for the environment. If everyone holds this mindset towards saving the Earth through green methods, I am sure that Earth will be a better place to live in and prolong its lifespan in sustaining us.

• Johanah Seow

November 11, 2016 at 5:30 pm Reply

Hi Zhen Kai,

I am also glad that we have all changed our lifestyles. This goes to show the importance of influence of the people around us! 🙂

– Johanah

Post a Comment