Spotlight on Alumni – Dr Cheryll Soriano

Cheryll-Soriano---WebCheryll Soriano

Associate Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator, Dept. of Communication at De La Salle University, Manila

Cheryll Soriano completed her PhD at CNM in September of 2012 and is currently an Associate Professor and Graduate Program Coordinator at the Department of Communication at De La Salle University in Manila. Cheryll’s research appear in Media, Culture and Society, Communication, Culture & Critique, Journal of Creative Communications, Telematics and Informatics, and Journal of Communication Management, among others.  She is now working on a book project on Asian digital cultures (with A/P Sun Sun Lim) expected to be published by Routledge under its internationalising media studies series. www.cheryllsoriano.com

Cheryll says, “NUS-CNM was a vibrant academic environment that prepared me for engaging with important questions underlying the politics, ethics, and consequences of media engagement of varied users, particularly those of cultural minorities in developing societies. I benefited immensely from the collegial atmosphere and generous support available for graduate students — expert mentoring, stimulating classroom sessions with intelligent and supportive packs of graduate students and Professors, opportunity to engage with colleagues and get feedback on my work during brown bag sessions, writing clinics, to generous conference and fieldwork grants. All these have helped me think about my research a bit more systematically and encouraged me to disseminate my work to the broader academic community through conferences and publications. Even the teaching assistantship was rewarding for the opportunity of working closely with some of the best Professors in the region and beneficial for obtaining the teaching experience necessary for an academic career. The relationships I’ve build with my Professors at CNM are treasured and sustained through continuing collaborations with them even after graduation. I’d strongly encourage the graduate students to take advantage of these many opportunities for expanding your field of knowledge —whether for preparing oneself for a career in academia or elsewhere!”

Bookmark the permalink.