What in the Pollution?!

Hello World! Welcome to my blog, thanks for checking it out! My name is Siti Raihah Binte Sazali and this post will be a short introduction to what my blog will be about.

I will be using this blog primarily to discuss how influencer culture and trends are not always as glamorous or beautiful as it may seem. Everything has a dark side; I will be specifically be exploring ways that influencer culture and trends have harmed and is continuing to harm the environment.

But before we dive into that, what in the pollution IS influencer culture?

Well, let me define what an influencer is first. I define influencer as anyone who has the ability to affect the behaviour of others. Traditional celebrities like Madonna and Oprah Winfrey and are straightforward examples of what an influencer is. However, with the proliferation of social media, the barrier to entry to becoming an influencer is lower than ever as people now have access to various platforms to relay their opinion and share it with others. In fact, I am being a small-scale influencer right now, as I write this blog! While some may regard influencers to be experts in their own fields, this is not necessarily the case especially when we talk about social media influencers. Social media influencers are people with a steady following and regular create content to affect the behaviour of others. In general, what constitutes an influencer is quite fluid and can influencers can appear in all sorts of fields from beauty, fashion, gaming and even education!

Now what is known as influencer culture therefore is this situation of individuals have the power to influence the thinking of others. It is usually discussed on a relatively large scale, influencing many people at any time. This culture is what creates trends as we know them. I will be focusing on how social media influencers are harming the environment through actions that are relatively accepted and regarded as the status quo within the influencer sphere.

Do stay tuned for more!