Solutions – Personal Experience (Rexanne)

November 2, 2020

Hello friends,

This is Rexanne again! Today will be a short post as I share with you some tips and little habits that I have grown to love after trying to greenify my beauty product consumption. 

Personally, (other than taking a bath + deodorant) a simple day out would usually involve beauty products like sunscreen, moisturiser, facial cleanser, primer, concealer, eyebrow pencil, mascara, blush,…..and so many more. I can also list out the items I use at the end of the day but that will make this blog post way too boring. Sitting down and reflecting on my own beauty routine and product consumption made me realise that there is room for so much improvement. After so many weeks of research for this blogpost and learning so many new alternatives, I wondered whether I can make some changes to my beauty routine to reduce my contribution to environmental pollution. Simple changes like replacing disposable cotton pads with washable cotton pads, buying a product in one large container instead of multiple small ones, using refillable shampoo bottles and so many more possibilities. I realised that tiny alterations on our daily routines can accumulate to become big changes and help reduce environmental pollution at the products’ end-of-life. For instance, by replacing my liquid shampoos and soaps with solid ones, it significantly reduced my consumption of excess plastic packaging. Every time I run out of body soap, I would just pop a new bar of soap into my exfoliating gloves and recycle the paper box packaging and then the cycle repeats. This way, I limit my carbon footprint and my beauty waste hence be able to control my contribution to pollution.

Another habit that I have developed would be to ventilate the room if someone uses a fragrant product or even inform them about the risks of long term exposure to chemicals contained in them. Previously mentioned in the blog post on usage of air fresheners and issue on lack of disclosure of ingredients list have an influence on chemical pollution. Now I have learnt to research the product and understand its content before I give in to temptation. I learnt that even though celebrities endorse the product, it does not mean that it is good. Irresponsible celebrities like Khloe Kardashian and her sisters are known to promote controversial products like weight loss pills, hair growth supplement and slimming tea (Viswanath, 2019). Apart from being careful about what I am purchasing, I also learnt to be skeptical of online retailers and wary of buying counterfeit products. As I have shared in another post, we need to be careful while shopping online, especially for beauty products because it can be extremely dangerous to us and the environment. We all need to realise that we all have the power to address environmental pollution brought about by consumption of beauty products. That is all, catch you in the next post!

Happy vibes,

Rexanne

References

Viswanath, J. (2019, March 22). Jameela Jamil Called Out Khloé Kardashian For Promoting More Weight Loss Supplements On Insta. Bustle.

https://www.bustle.com/p/jameela-jamil-called-khloe-kardashians-instagram-ad-for-weight-loss-supplements-irresponsible-16974444 

Zoellner, D. (2020, January 9). Khloe Kardashian is branded ‘morally bankrupt’ after promoting flat tummy tea AGAIN, insisting it really ‘works’ – despite admitting she uses a trainer and a nutritionist to keep her in shape. Daily Mail UK.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-7870425/Khloe-Kardashian-slammed-promoting-weight-loss-product-AGAIN.html