Hey everyone! Huge congratulations for surviving the first half of the semester, your one week break awaits you.

Today’s post is part 2 of last week’s and we will be looking into people’s opinions about overfishing.

A few days ago, I did a casual poll on Instagram to get a glimpse of people’s awareness of overfishing. 72% out of the 103 people who responded to the poll thought that less than half of global fish stocks are fully or overexploited, when in fact, it is a shocking two-thirds (source).

Alive today, dead tomorrow? source

Although the 103 participants may not be a sufficient representative, the fact that in such an advanced country like Singapore where most of us are fairly educated and information is easily retrieved, it is disheartening that a majority of us are still unaware of the severity and implications of overfishing.

My poll also surveyed about the consumption of sustainably farmed seafood, of which a minuscule 15% responded that they do try as much as possible to purchase seafood that is sustainably farmed while the other 85% do not make this conscious effort.

A study conducted in Canada showed that sensory factors – taste, smell and appearance, are the most influential factors for shoppers purchasing seafood at grocery stores. The importance people placed on the ecological impact of their seafood varied amongst individuals (source).

Well, I have to admit that purchasing seafood that is sustainably farmed can be quite a challenge (you don’t see fishmongers in local wet markets telling you how their fish was obtained). Constant efforts are required to be aware of a product’s origin. Hence, some people would think of sustainability as inconvenient and be less inclined to adopt the habit. But seriously, prioritizing convenience over our responsibility to protect the environment? To me (keyword: to me, you may choose to disagree), that’s unacceptable (!!!!).

Some fish for thought:

(These are some questions/thoughts I had while writing this post. Hopefully, it’ll spur enlightening discussions and broaden our perspective! I will try to include this section at the end of my future posts as well.)

Are the implications and consequences of overfishing sufficiently emphasized in Singapore?

Do you try to consume sustainably farmed seafood? If yes, what are some challenges you face and why do you think people are not compelled to adopt this habit?

Do you think current efforts to obtain seafood sustainably can help to mitigate the problem of overfishing or is cutting seafood in our diets a better alternative to this problem?

Do share your thoughts in the comments!

Sincerely,

Sheryl