Hey everyone!

I am Sheryl (that’s me in my favourite element), a year 1 student in Environmental Studies (NUS). Just a little more about me, I was from Ngee Ann Polytechnic where I pursued a diploma in Veterinary Bioscience and if you are wondering what made me decide to change my course of study, that’s a story for another time! Another thing about me, I am in love with the ocean (LOL). The mystery of the deep blue sea has intrigued me ever since I was a child.

“Yet for all of our reliance on the ocean, more than eighty percent of this vast, underwater realm remains unmapped, unobserved, and unexplored.” 

When I first entered BES, during orientation camp, I got my mind blown when a senior posed a question to me. She said, and I quote, “The Ocean is filled with salty water and fishes swimming in it, would it then be considered a bowl of soup?” Of course, she meant it as a joke but oddly it was the first thing that flashed through my mind when we were tasked to think of a topic to blog about. Rationally, the answer to that question is no but if we think of it from another perspective, are we treating the ocean like a bowl of soup?

The ocean plays many important roles in our ecosystem and also provides food and livelihood for humanity.

Figure 1: Our World Ocean provides

Life is so abundant under the sea with approximately 2.2 million species, of which 91% are still unclassified. However, this effectuated humanity’s bad habit of taking until the point of exploitation. Now the ocean will face the detrimental effects of overfishing if we do nothing. Seafood is widely consumed in many countries. Locally, Singapore consumes 120,000 tonnes of seafood per year and three out of four of our favourite seafood are unsustainable.

Through this blog, I hope to raise awareness of overfishing and the severity of its consequences. We will also explore different seafood farming practices and take into account how we can encourage seafood sustainability in our daily lives.

Sincerely,

Sheryl