✿ Hello! ✧˖*°࿐

Hi everyone! My name is Sumaiyah, and I am a Year 4 student taking the GE4237 Environmental Pollution module at the National University of Singapore. The targeted audience of my work includes my lecturers Prof David Taylor and Dr. Chen Mengli, as well as my dear coursemates. Despite this, I’d like to make full use of this module, and write my future blog posts with the wider public in mind. I feel the need to address this beforehand because I’m concerned about random people stumbling upon my blog (I actually enrolled in the module because I stumbled upon the work of previous students)!

Now that that is out of the way, you would be wondering about the story behind my blog name, as well as the colors used in its design!

Firstly, Sullied South is a play at alliteration so that people easily remember my blog’s name. As its subtitle explains, my blog will feature posts on the issues of pollution in many countries in the Global South. Being a student of Geography, I believe that it is important to study things happening in the world by referring them back to actual locations on the world map.

Secondly, the pink colors illustrate not only my love for the color but also my interest in feminist geopolitics. The Department of Geography at the National University of Singapore provides undergraduates with the flexibility of pursuing the various branches of the discipline. After spending 7 semesters (i.e. 3.5 years) in the institution, I find that political geography and geopolitics fascinate me the most. As such, I believe I can share with all of you my take on environmental pollution, through an alternative, and human, lens. In sum, Sullied South aims to provide readers with the grounded and embodied experiences of those in the Global South, in the face of environmental pollution.

I hope you enjoy reading through my future posts! See you in the next one! ✿