Zoos and Conservation

The Boo(n)s of Zoos? (Part 2b)

Welcome back everyone! In today’s post, I will be reflecting on a TEDx talk that I watched pertaining to animal welfare in zoos, as well as the future of zoos.

First, let’s watch the TEDx talk!

I hope you enjoyed the video as much as I did, and please feel free to share your thoughts down below! If you’re interested, the speaker is Ron Kagan, and he is the CEO of the Detroit Zoological Society.

Now, onto some key takeaways I had.

The first was probably the most important, that emphasizes the need for compassionate zoos. This means that zoos must prioritize the welfare of the animals and as Ron Kagan mentions, if conservation is done at the expense of the individual animals, it cannot be considered great conservation.

Following that train of thought, zoos should only accept and keep animals that can and will thrive in the zoo environment. That is to say, factors like climate, space, social dynamics, enclosure design etc, must ALL be suitable for the survival of the animals; thus the animals must live in a “fabulous physical and social environment”, as mentioned by Ron Kagan. To me, this bridges the gap that is perceived between zoo animals and animal welfare, allowing zoos to achieve both. This is related to something that Dr Coleman mentioned in a comment on my previous post, so if you’re interested, feel free to check out the Montreal Ecomuseum, and Biodôme de Montréal (I found a short YouTube video on the Biodome here)!

Made using Canva

The next important takeaway is the need to shift away from charismatic megafauna, like giant pandas, or elephants. While their conservation is important, there is a need for greater emphasis on species of amphibians and invertebrates. Considering the importance of insects and amphibians to ecosystems, such as the former providing pollination for plants, and the latter serving as nature’s pest control; it is vital that we promote the conservation of these species. Without these species, the foundation of ecosystems may crumble, and along with it the functionality of ecosystems.

The final takeaway is the integration of education within zoos. For the Detroit Zoo, education comes in many forms, from a tour in the Arctic Ring of Life where visitors learn more about life in the Arctic, to the Science on a Sphere, where visitors learn more about climate change. I think it is important to include abiotic elements in the educational experience of zoos, considering how important they are in influencing the lives of the animals that we are trying to protect.

Summary of key takeaways from the talk, made using Canva

If zoos can incorporate the above 3 elements, then I think this will really allow zoos to maximize their contributions to conservation; all without compromising the welfare of their animals.

A last point to add, I still think accreditation processes mentioned in the previous post are still important, but perhaps the process and criteria can be reworked, to include some of the elements discussed above. Furthermore, the process can be stricter, so as to truly sieve out the best zoos from the rest.

I hope that you have learnt something from not just this post, but from all of my previous ones, as this tour of zoos will soon be coming to an end as we draw near the end of the semester. See ya next time!

Cheers!
Jeng Wei

Featured image: “IMG_1185” by Becker1999, licensed under CC BY 2.0

Next Post

Previous Post

4 Comments

1. Joanna Coleman November 1, 2020

Very good Ted Talk !

2. Divina Vicknesh November 10, 2020

Hey Jeng Wei! Thank you for sharing the TED talk! I thought it was cool how on top of the conserving the 4 species of penguins, the Polk Penguin Conservation Center would allow for education about climate change! And I agree with you that the integration of education into zoos is essential.
    I went to watch another video on the Polk Penguin Conservation Center and listened to Ron Kagan talk about how suitable the enclosure is for the penguins. He talked about how the water is super super cold…the waves and winds are simulated…but I was wondering if despite all these meticulous planning and considerations, could there be a possibility that the enclosure might not be optimal for the penguins? Is 33,000-square-feet enough? And let’s say if factors such as our current level of technology hinder our ability to recreate an animal’s habitat….should we or should we not go ahead and continue with the conservation efforts, given the critical state of the actual habitat(e.g. Antarctica)?
    Thank you for the wonderful read!
    Cheers,
    Divina

• Jeng Wei November 10, 2020 — Post Author

Hello Divina!

I’m glad you enjoyed the TED Talk! That’s also a great question you have asked. In my opinion, zoos can never truly create habitats that are identical to the natural ones, but I think what can be achieved is a level that is similar enough that the welfare of animal inhabitants are not overly compromised. In the case of penguins, certainly there is a limit, given how much space they inhabit out in the wild, and the vast expanses of ocean that they cover when they go hunting. Yet, I think ensuring that the temperatures (both out of and in the water) are similar to the natural habitat, simulating natural conditions like winds and waves, and ensuring that the enclosure is not overcrowded are good enough for a start to ensuring welfare standards.

With regards to the second question, it is tough to come to a decision if we should continue with keeping animals in zoos if we are unable to create an enclosure that fully suits the needs of the animal, as there may be some form of welfare compromise. Yet, if the animals are really threatened, I think that that is a trade-off we must accept, as to me, preventing their extinction holds priority over the individual welfare. I think this is especially important when factors threatening them in the wild is difficult to mitigate, such as climate change, whereas in areas with factors that are easier to mitigate (perhaps poaching?), in-situ conservation should be prioritized. Of course, zoos should do everything they can to ensure that they can maximize the welfare of the animal inhabitants, even if there may be some shortfall from the ideal conditions.

I hope I’ve answered your questions, and thanks so much for dropping by!

Cheers!
      Jeng Wei

• Divina Vicknesh November 10, 2020

Thank you for answering my questions, Jeng Wei! You mentioned that we should accept the trade-offs in certain cases where the natural environment is facing especially harsh conditions that are hard to mitigate, while we should push for in-situ conservation for cases whereby it is possible to tackle the threats that the animals face. I found this point especially interesting and I agree with it!
        Thank you for the reply!
        Cheers,
        Divina