Epilogue.

Here’s an overused quote: all good things must come to an end. Yes, it is cliché, but probably only because everyone, at some point in their lives, realises how true that phrase is. And this is one of those moments for me, as one good thing is coming to an end – my internship.

I feel like Ross when he broke up with Rachel.

It feels like it was just yesterday I saw the intern recruitment poster on Facebook, barely containing my excitement from finding an opportunity to rekindle with my long-lost hobby. I used to write stories, even poems, when I was little. But along the way my imagination and creativity faltered, my plate became full, and my hobby was somewhat forgotten. Essays and reports seemed to be enough writing for the day. So when I saw that poster, I got excited, but there was also a hint of doubt – am I qualified for this job? Do I still have it in me? The doubt only increased when I saw that the previous two interns were so much more senior than me. I was just a first year student. How was I supposed to write about NUS Residential Life when I had only experienced it for one semester and knew so little about it?

I remember waiting nervously for my Skype interview, thinking if I should just forget about it when the call didn’t come after some time. Thankfully I didn’t let those doubts get to me because otherwise I would have missed such an incredible opportunity filled with valuable experiences and lessons, most of which I have Bell (I dare say the best editor/mentor I could ever ask for) to thank for. Her reply to my acceptance email, in which I said that I hope I won’t disappoint, removed any strand of doubt I have in mind: “All we require is a keen learning attitude. That, I’m sure you already possess – hence, there’s nothing to disappoint!” One thing I was struggling with was writing interview posts, as I was scared of editing too much and losing the interviewee’s voice in the process. Bell patiently guided me and while I still have much to learn, I think it is rewarding to see my own progress from my first post (for which I didn’t even edit the interview answers at all) to my more recent posts.

705

But my favourite experience from this internship is probably the Residential Leaders Camp (RLC) 2016. To be honest, I didn’t know much about Resident Assistants (RAs) before. I mean, I knew that they have duties, plan events, and get free accommodation in exchange. What I didn’t know, and what I discovered after spending three full days with them in RLC, was how they are this amazing bunch of people. By amazing I meant mature, smart, and super friendly, among many other good qualities that they have. I really hope more residents can see this and RAs can get more recognition which they truly deserve from the residents. That was hands-down the best camp I’ve been to, and it was all thanks to the people who made me feel welcome. Everyone was not judgmental of each other, which is incredible considering we all came from different backgrounds (at one point I get to sit at a table with four other people and all five of us have five different nationalities!).

Residential Leaders Camp 2016

Residential Leaders Camp 2016

It hasn’t always been a bed or roses, though. I think brainstorming was appropriately named – it really does feel like there’s a storm in your brain. Ideas were flowing out easily when I first started, but after a while coming up with novel ideas which would attract and interest readers certainly became a challenge. And I couldn’t spend all my time on it either, with seven modules haunting me this semester. But whenever I click “publish” on the blog or Facebook page, there’s always a unique sense of satisfaction, and the effort put in is all worth it in the end.

So this is the end of the chapter for me, which saddens me for a number of reasons. One of them is the fact that I feel like I have some unfinished business – things which I started but haven’t got to finish, ideas which haven’t materialized. But I’m excited to pass the baton to the next intern and see him/her take it to the next level. This is my epilogue, and I’m closing the book with lots of priceless memories, lessons and experiences, and I’m forever grateful for it. 🙂

Arintha