RA SPOTLIGHT – FAREWELL EDITION: LI YANG FROM PGPR

It is the end of another academic year. While this means that we get to welcome new RAs to join our team, unfortunately we also have to say goodbye to some of our beloved outgoing RAs. Mr Lim Li Yang from Prince George’s Park Residences (PGPR) Residence 1 (R1) is one of them. Check out his story as he shares with us his experiences and more! 🙂

13312734_10209323927072320_2634102700865629002_n

First of all, congratulations on graduating! Can you tell us about yourself – what’s your major and how long have you been an RA?

Thank you! My name is Li Yang, I’m from Malaysia and I major in Mechanical Engineering. I have been an RA for two years. Time sure flies!

So during those years as an RA, how would you say the experience has changed/shaped you as a person?

Two years of RA experience has definitely taught me a lot. Throughout my RA journey, I learnt how to better handle crises  and solve conflicts between residents, plus event management and communication skills. It is all thanks to the workshop and training provided by Residential Life (RL) and also the daily RA operational work, which have honed my skills in those areas. Looking back, I would like to thank the wonderful RL team and my PGPR Residence 1 peers for helping me throughout the journey, while building up my confidence.

Any interesting/funny experiences to share?

One interesting thing would be how some residents think that RAs have the authority in granting people stay at PGPR. Some of them even ever asked for my help to approve their hostel application, which I certainly do not have the authority to do so!

You did this thing where you put your legs up behind your neck (see photo below) at this year’s Residential Leaders Camp, can you share about that?

I did that out of boredom during the waiting time and my group immediately asked me to perform that in front of all the audience. I realised that I could do that since I was young and find it hilarious when people express their disbelief at me being able to it!

13086962_594880964010071_4852914140771740853_o

Do you have other hobbies or talents?

I like to play badminton, basketball and Dota 2! As for talent, apart from being able to stick my leg behind my neck and drinking lots of thick kopi-o siew dai, I think I have none… Can I update when I think of some? *laugh*

So, what’s your plan next?

I most likely will be working as a Research Engineer in the NUS Mechanical Engineering department in the foreseeable future. Otherwise, my backup plan is to find a job in the industry, but still as an engineer. I don’t foresee myself working in other industries at the time being as engineering is really my passion!

If you were an animated character, who would you be and why?

I want to be Red-Haired Shanks in One Piece. He is humble, but when situation calls for it, he steps up and faces the challenges. Besides, he is free-spirited, always smiling and does not take offence even when people insult him. This is true confidence to me, as he does not let his identity be dependent on what others think of him.

How was living in R1? A lot of people don’t like the fact that it is so far away, how about you?

I wasn’t a fan of the long walking distance from the bus stop when I first moved here too. But after a while, I got used to it. I like the fact that R1 is very close to the canteen, and has  a rather beautiful view, thanks to the many trees outside our windows (R1 is located near a forest). It’s also quiet and serene, which certainly is a plus point for me.

What will you miss the most about being an RA?

My R1 team. The friendship forged throughout my two years as an RA is invaluable to me. My Resident Advisors, Ms Charina Ong and Prof Herbert Schwarz have been very kind and helpful during my years as an RA too.

What challenges did you face during your time as an RA?

Time management is one of the challenges I faced. NUS students’ workloads are heavy (I’m sure you all can agree to this!) and at the same time RAs have to deal with residential issues and organizing events for the residents. Event organization itself is another challenge too. We have to constantly think of ways to improve our events to attract more residents to join the event and have fun together. But it was all worth it in the end!

Any tips or suggestions for those still continuing their service or those who just joined as RAs, then?

Manage your time well and don’t be stressed out when things get hectic! Your RA team are your important partners, always lean on each other and help each other out.

Thank you Li Yang for your service and we wish you all the best in your future endeavors! 🙂

Arintha