RA Spotlight: Andrew from RC4

Welcome to the third instalment of RA Spotlight! This week, we chat with Andrew from RC4 about his experiences as a Combat Diver – including a creepy underwater encounter! – as well as awkward RA moments.

Andrew profile

RA Andrew at a glance

To give you context on the gruelling training faced by Singapore’s warriors of the deep, here is a video of their “Hell Week” activities, which includes running with a boat on their heads and being submerged in ice water.

Up to 80% of divers drop out before training ends. RA Andrew is part of the 20% that survived.

So Andrew, I hear that you’re a diver! Tell us about your role and your training.

I’m trained as a Combat Diver, but during peacekeeping times I normally perform duties like ship hull checks. Training was both mentally and physically challenging since we are given a short time to train and are expected to achieve [a lot], which can be impossible. We had different instructors, all of which expected 100 % out of us all the time. After the training, we go overseas on a ship, and one can get seasick a lot.

And your best memories as a diver?

I think it’s the hardship we went through together. And at night, around 11 pm, we get to talk to each other, understand each other, since everybody came from different backgrounds. There were a lot of interesting stories to listen to.

Sounds nice – like the military version of a [girl’s] sleepover every night! 

[laughs]

Ghost stories seem popular with NS men. Do you have one?

Once during my training, we had to go for a sea dive and it was pitch black at night. During the dive, I saw a white figure that asked me to go up to the surface. He told me there’s not enough oxygen. I just went up as instructed, and I saw my oxygen gauge to be close to zero. Later, I asked my sergeant, “Did you come down to tell us that we were supposed to go up?” He said no.

Oh my.

I asked my friend about it, and he said a white figure had also asked him to surface. It’s so scary.

The spirit of divers past…haunting…or helping their juniors!

[laughs]

Underwater

Andrew’s second home – under the sea! | Photo courtesy of Andrew Ng

So after NS, were you able to apply your NS skills to your new role as an RA?

Oh, I’ve gotten used to sleepless nights. I can survive sleepless nights, just to talk to people everyday and do my RA checks.

Tell us about the RC4 experience. Any interesting incidents?

Well, RC4 hosts a lot of exchange students. I heard from my seniors that at times, they just don’t wear anything.

I think in some Western countries, they like to sleep in camisoles and underwear only!

Yes! [laughs] My senior said she felt very awkward when one such student went to talk to her, and she didn’t know where to look. [laughs] Look straight! 

[laughs] Okay – now, tell us something we may not know about Andrew.

There’s a lot, but I don’t know what’s special… [pauses]

I must have a cup of coffee everyday. As in, specifically, the Science canteen kopi. Only that stall. The auntie already knows what I want when she sees me, and is like, “Okay, this, I help you take!”

What are your hobbies?

I like to play all kinds of sports. Specifically, I was in the track and field team while I was on exchange in Hong Kong. I went to represent the school in the track and field competitions. I did cross country.

And what are your plans after university?

Right now, I’m planning to do my PhD in NUS. It will be in the field of nanoscience. It will be another torturous four years! [laughs]

Jungle Book

Imagining you’re in Mauritius, Andrew? | Photo courtesy of Andrew Ng

Anna Villarica