RA Spotlight: Duc from KFH

Welcome to the second instalment of our RA Spotlight series! After he’d impressed us all with his dance moves at RL Camp, we sat down with Duc from Kuok Foundation House (KFH). While the multitalented Psych major insists that he does not read minds, he can turn balloons into art and may just be the guy you need if you wander into the deep end of the pool!

Duc profile

You burned up the dance floor during Residential Leaders’ Got Talent! Are you in any dance clubs or take dance classes? 

I only started to get serious about dancing in October, when I joined a class at Dance Factory. Most of it is Hiphop and Kpop. I have class once a week, and each class is an hour. At home, I try to practice about an hour every other day. I should have started [dancing] earlier!

Do you have a preferred genre?

For now, I dig Hiphop ’cause of the culture. I like it because makes me appreciate Hiphop, R & B and Rap music: artists like Chris Brown, Ne-Yo, Iggy Azalea, Nicki Minaj, Eminem and Fort Minor.

Any dance icons?

Not at the moment. I’m not that deep into the dance culture yet…I just appreciate the moves. Right now, it’s more about appreciating the choreography, not a [particular] dancer or a group.

What are your other interests? 

I’m into photography. I was in the photographic society of ACJC, where I covered events as a photographer. Balloon-sculpting is another interest. At my first semester in KFH, we had to plan a De-Stress session and my senior suggested balloon-sculpting. I went to watch YouTube videos and tried it out…I popped a lot of balloons, and my first ballon dogs – each came out a different shape! I practiced more and more and it has become a skill. Last year, I made 80 balloon penguins for all the RAs, and I delivered them to their residences.

Duc and Huang Xuan dancing

Duc and Huang Xuan showing off their skills in Residential Leaders’ Got Talent! | Photo by Lionel Lin

What made you decide to study Psychology?

Usually, people [in Psych] will say, “I’m interested in the human mind and behaviour – to explain it, predict it, even manipulate it.” But to me it’s quite personal. Someone I was close to has depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder. I feel that I needed to do something to understand the nature of mental disorders better. I went into Psychology and it has been very meaningful.

What are your goals after university?

After university, I’ll go to Europe again – there are so many places to explore! I’ll work in Singapore for 2-3 years for some experience. Then, I’ll continue with my postgrad: I want to do a degree in Education [Policy] so I can get into policy-making and I can help Vietnam better its education system.

OK, let’s backtrack a bit. You are from Vietnam but have lived in Singapore for almost 8 years. What is your favourite place in Singapore and why?

It might be very uninteresting…but my favourite place wherever I am is my room! But if I had to choose a place in Singapore, it’s Clark Quay – the two sides of the Singapore River, where I get a drink with my friends and unwind.

And to those traveling to your country – what would be your advice?

I definitely recommend going to Hanoi because it’s a very traditional city. Just make sure to get a local friend to go with you. Try out fried spring rolls, eat them with fresh vermicelli and vinegar – I am salivating right now! [laughs] You can travel by the national railroad that connects the North to the South – but get a first class ticket, so you’ll have your own cabin. A more hipster way of traveling around Vietnam is by motorbike. Get a motorbike and have a road trip with your friends!

Lastly, what would you like to tell your juniors?

Explore whatever hobbies and passions you want to get into, and work on it. Don’t be afraid of jumping into something. In JC, I didn’t join dance because I thought I can’t, and I was delayed a few years. Also, at times you will be met with failure. Move on, because no failure is permanent. Finally, just be a generous person. Life will treat you well if you do.

balloon sculpting

At RLCamp, Duc taught his teammates how to sculpt the balloons (left). Afterwards, the RAs made balloon sculptures for the kids, and also passed on what they learned from Duc to the children (right) | Photos by Lionel Lin

Anna Villarica