6 Graduate Student Teaching Award Winners and 1 Honor Roller (Semester 1 AY2018/2019)

We are pleased to announce that six of our graduate students have recently won the Graduate Students’ Teaching Award (GSTA) for Semester 1 AY2018/2019!

Ming Yue

1. What inspires you to teach?

I enjoy being part of the journey of a young psychology undergraduate who is deciding which path to take after university. I find it rewarding to expose students to the intriguing field of mental health and clinical psychology, as well as to increase their knowledge of issues around mental health and reduce stigma around the topic.

2. What are some of the major challenges you face as a teacher?

One challenge is to know how much information to provide students, but not to the point of overwhelming them, as concepts in psychology are often interlinked and insufficient to consider in isolation.

3. Why do you think you are an effective teacher?

I try to show my students that in my classroom, their opinions, thoughts, and questions are valued; it is my hope that it would then encourage them to think critically about topics discussed in class, and to form a stronger concept of what is being taught.

I also incorporate activities in the classroom so that students may interact with the material, and thus enhance their understanding of the topics.

Minzheng

1. What inspires you to teach?

To gain new perspectives to view the world, master the self, and contribute to those around us — that was the inspiration I received from my teachers in school and in life, and is the inspiration I wish to impart to my students.

So much to do, so little time. The pursuit of knowledge and excellence isn’t something that can be done within just a few sessions in a semester. I hope that my students are sufficiently inspired to own their learning, apply what they have learnt, and excel in their endeavors beyond the classroom.

To the extent that my students strive to take ownership of their learning and become intrinsically motivated to excel, that to me would be a hallmark of an effective teacher.

I hope I have achieved that to some degree.

Vincent

1. What inspires you to teach?

Learning isn’t always easy, and it can frequently involve a lot of struggle and failure. I know this because I too continue to be on a journey of learning and self-improvement, and I too have had mentors who have wholeheartedly guided me on this journey.

It is precisely because I understand the difficulty of learning that I hope to be able to guide students on a journey of learning that is enriching but fun, and challenging but not overwhelming.

Moreover, receiving words of appreciation from my students after my classes or after I’ve helped them out with something they found difficult really does put a smile on my face! 🙂

Different students have diverse preferences and styles of learning, so I often worry about whether I’m able to teach in a way that will allow all my students to maximise their learning outcomes. I also worry about whether I’ve successfully inculcated useful skills and lessons that they would take with them long after my lessons have ended. But at the end of the day, I recognise that all I can do is to dedicate time and effort into planning thoughtful lessons which will maximally cater to different students and to keep trying my best. I really do hope that my students will be able to keep trying their best too, and not be too discouraged by the inevitable setbacks and struggles of life. And I hope that in some small way, I will have just a little bit of lasting impact on their education. Of course, I’m not perfect, and I continue to strive towards being a better person and a better educator too.

I think it’s really a matter of willingness — the willingness to dedicate time and effort to my students. I put in a lot of effort into thinking through my lessons and trying to plan the most effective way to present the materials so that students would find them engaging and enriching. I’m glad to know that my effort has paid off, and many students have provided positive feedback that my classes are fun and engaging!