Since psychology is an empirical science, statistical analysis is widely used to provide empirical support to test research hypotheses. Students doing honours theses sometimes may struggle on how to conduct data analysis and to interpret the findings properly. To provide better support to our students, the Department of Psychology will provide statistical consultation to students preparing honours theses. The following are some guidelines:
1. This service is strictly for students doing honours theses. If you have questions in statistics in other modules, you have to consult the lecturers or teaching assistants who are teaching these modules.
2. The statistical consultants will mainly provide advice. They will not conduct any analysis nor write the results for you.
3. If you need to use a computer to show the data or results, please bring your own notebooks.
4. You should make an appointment at least one day before the consultation. Each session may last up to half an hour or an hour depending on the availability of the statistical consultants.
5. You should properly acknowledge contributions of the statistical consultants in your theses. This is a requirement listed in the APA Publication Manual.
The followings are the statistical consultants for Semester 2 until the end of the semester (15 Apr 2011). Their room number is AS4-02-07D.
Lee Li Neng <email@example.com> Friday 10-12pm
Lim Yonghao <firstname.lastname@example.org> Monday Mon 3-5pm
If you have questions regarding your theses, the first step is to discuss them with your supervisors. In case that you still have questions, you may make an appointment with one of the statistical consultants by sending the following information to one of them:
Preparing honours thesis: Yes/No
Questions: Please briefly explain your questions.
Appointment time: For example, 3-4pm 3 Feb 2011
If you have any questions or comments regarding the statistical consultation, feel free to email them to me.