[Disclaimer: This is an uncensored and unedited article submitted by a student at NUS. We have recently experienced cases of students publishing articles on NUS Digital that contain advertisements or spam, and we are deeply sorry for such cases. In those cases, we removed the articles promptly thanks to whistleblowing from our readers. If you believe this article contains any subtle advertisements, spam or offensive content, please report it for us to review. Thank you.]
What is content marketing?
Marketing is impossible and pointless without quality content. According to the Content Marketing Institute, content marketing can be defined as “a strategic marketing approach focused on creating and distributing valuable, relevant, and consistent content to attract and retain a clearly defined audience — and, ultimately, to drive profitable customer action.”
Content marketing focuses on the notion that instead of pitching sales arguments for products or services, you instead provide truly relevant and useful content to your customers and prospective customers, with the aim of helping them solve their issues.
Benefits of content marketing
Producing quality content and implementing a content marketing strategy has several benefits, which include;
- Increased brand awareness: as customers and prospective customers search the web for answers to their questions and solutions for their problems, your brand continues to show up and resonate with them as the answer.
- Increased brand preference: Content marketing helps to further establish your brand as a thought leader and trend driver, which strengthens relationships with buyers and creates a reputation an authority within your industry.
- Greater reach at lower cost: a collection of great content will continue to reach more qualified leads and interested buyers. Although a successful content marketing strategy takes time, it doesn’t have to cost a lot and is regarded as one of the most profitable marketing tactics.
Tips to improve your content marketing
So now you understand how important content marketing is to any marketing campaign, here are a few tips on how to ensure your efforts aren’t wasted:
- Document your content marketing strategy – it doesn’t have to be long, but have a clearly defined, documented strategy to keep each campaign aligned with your overall goals.
- Have clearly defined goals for the content you share
- Define what metrics best measure your content marketing efforts – use these metrics to evaluate whether your content marketing efforts are helping you achieve your objectives or not.
- Adopt a customer-centric mindset – when planning and curating content, always keep in mind what your target audience actually want and need.
- Hire an internet marketing company to implement and manage your content marketing strategy. They possess the know-how and expertise to curate quality content that is aligned with industry best practice.