Green Models (A Case Study) [Part 2]

Hi everyone!

I hope you have been doing well. While we are being preoccupied with our life, here is another quote to unwind.

“Adopt the pace of Nature. Her secret is patience.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

This quote resonates with what I am about to share, which relates to the tranquillity and peacefulness of the Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, located in the quiet corner of Kranji.

What is that place?

Dubbed as Singapore’s first ASEAN Heritage Park, this nature reserve holds much more biodiversity than you would expect (Nparks, 2020)[1].

Cherish the mangrove forests in Sungei Buloh. (Source: ©Lee Wee Meng)

Why should I visit?

I feel this nature reserve should be named as the “Changi Airport of the West”. Why do I say that? For migratory birds, Sungei Buloh is known to be a vital place for them to settle in during the winter period. They happened to fly along the East Asian Australasian Flyway, which is a migratory route from the northern parts of Asia towards Singapore (Loo, 2015)[2]. Also, this is a natural gem for mangroves to be grown and kept safe in this reserve. Many research projects for mangroves are implemented here in Sungei Buloh to capture the wonderful features that these species provide as homes for the huge biodiversity present in Sungei Buloh. They are the ones who attract not just the migratory birds, but also other reptiles and mammal species. While you are walking on the path, you might stumble across the elegant Oriental Whip Snake (Ahaetulla prasina) or the shy estuarine crocodile (Crocodylos porosus) basking in the sun.

Can you spot the crocodile? (Source:©Lee Wee Meng)

My Thoughts

This is a natural paradise not to be missed. While there are paths and towers constructed around this reserve, they are planned out carefully so that not only the public can get a piece of Nature, but also to cherish the exotic wildlife that will remain here in one of the few natural gems in Singapore. As such, I feel that this an example of how untouched greenery is present in green spaces. This reserve is especially crucial to be preserved if we want future generations to have a look at this natural gem and protect it.

In the next few posts, I will share some insights into the world of Nature conservation.

In the next mind,

Wee Meng

0 comments