Field study in Japan – Intro

In the fall of 2010 I had this crazy idea to do a short field study in Japan that explored ecotourism and current controversies regarding the construction state, like huge public projects to build dams and reclaim land. Since I know Kyushu best, I decided it best to run the field study there.

I applied for funding from several agencies to help reduce the cost to students. I anticipated that I would only propose the field study in 2010 and possibly travel for a few days by myself in 2011 to give it a dry run, then hopefully receive funding in 2012 and then run the field study with students.

To my surprise, I received all three sources of funding that I applied for, thereby allowing me to recruit, interview, and select ten excellent students from the National University of Singapore to participate in the field study.

The field study began with five days of intensive classes (May 9-13) at NUS (six hours a day) on ecotourism, Japanese political economy, research methods, and case studies of the four locations we’re visiting. Then we left for Japan early Tuesday morning, flying direct from Singapore to Fukuoka. Upon arrival, we went straight to Hakata Station to validate our rail passes.

The central hall of Hakata Station. The tile work was done in Arita, Saga Prefecture. I was fortunate to stumble upon the factory in the summer of 2010 and see the tiles being made. It is incredible to see them installed.
The special Huis ten bosch train from Hakata to the theme park.
Huis ten bosch Station.

Then we took the train to Huis ten bosch, the Dutch theme park in Nagasaki that is renowned for its extensive environmental planning. This includes the most advanced waste water treatment plant in the country, the creation of a wetlands on a failed industrial site, and a power-generation system that is highly efficient and relatively eco-friendly.

Inside Huis ten bosch
Dutch-inspired architecture in a Japanese theme park. The buildings remind me so much of Pella, Iowa, where I attended Central College as an undergraduate.

We had a tour of the recycling, power, and waste-generation systems, and got to walk underground where the extensive pipes for water, electricity and other essentials run. No above-ground wires here, and never a break in a water main (in 19 years) since the pipes are climate controlled in a below-ground tunnel that can be easily walked through.

Our tour leader with students.

The lecture before the tour.

Sign on the floor of the power plant. This is actually a popular tour with school groups. All 5th grade students at Sasebo schools take the tour of Huis ten bosch.

Walking to the power plant.

Inside the plant.

After the tour, students had free time to explore the theme park, which has had a problematic economic past, including going into bankruptcy at least once. As of 2010 it is owned by HIS, the Japanese travel company, and it is reportedly turning a profit. However, the park is not completely open, with two hotels currently undergoing renovations. There were few guests while we were there. So many potential shops are closed that some areas feel like a ghost town, which is sad. A lifeless Dutch village in Japan.

So Dutch!

We stayed in the three villas on the right, overlooking this placid pond.

Regardless of the lack of other visitors, we enjoyed our stay, learning more about the theme park’s environmental efforts that we previously knew, and having a taste of Europe without the long flight.

Students enjoying the church square.

Evening descends on Huis ten bosch.

Stay tuned for Day 2!