With the book fund raising sale coming up soon, let’s take a look at some of the interesting titles you can purchase for reasonably low prices. Do remember that all proceeds are going for a worthy cause to assist students with financial need in NUS!
This week let’s take a look at one of the most popular categories in the Book Sale, fiction!
Here are some selections from the fiction that we’ve collected for sale. The one thing they all have in common is that they all deal with historical characters and the enigmas they represent. Books like those pictured here, often bring you on an incredible journey with their protagonists and are so descriptive you feel the thrill of being on this journey with them.
- The latest instalment in the Robert Langdon series, Inferno is based off the infamous epic by Dante and real picturesque locations that are associated with it. As with the earlier books, it’s a race against time to figure out the truth and solve the puzzles before it’s too late but this time Dr. Langdon is more personally involved in the plot than ever before.
- Bring Up the Bodies is a fictional re-telling of the tale of the much-written about Anne Boleyn, introducing a new character to serve on the side of King Henry. Mantel has also been praised for providing an interesting cognitive perspective to the known history of Anne Boleyn.
- The Guardians of the Covenant is a translated work from Norway dealing with an archaeologist’s dicovery of a viking conspiracy and it’s coverup leading the reader through the sights and sounds of Norway.
- The Third Secret looks at the church and religion and introduces a conspiracy of a hidden truth/message. It has been compared to Dan Brown’s Angels and Demons and is a piece of fiction that is reputed to be quite balanced in terms of characterisation and pace of the novel.
- Finally, the Testament is a novel that brings us on a rather familiar journey of discovering an ancient order that was charged with protecting a dangerous secret. The difference would most likely be in that the protagonist now has to follow his father’s footsteps in the Order but he has to discover the truth first. Also, this was written by the author who created the Bourne series.
We hope the titles here have piqued your interest and we hope to see you at the Fundraising Sale (in conjunction with ERDD 2016) at Central Library!