Articles & Sunscreen

Recently, I found a piece of news on the web: photo-ageing can be very severe. Take a look at this:

William McElligott’s job involves driving a truck for several hours each day, and he has been doing that for nearly 30 years. As you can see, the left side of his face is severely wrinkled due to exposure from the sun. According to ABC News, McElligott was seen by dermatologist Dr. Jennifer Gordon, who later published a case study on his skin condition in the April 2012 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM).

Out of curiosity, I decided to read the article in NEJM. First, I searched FindMore@NUSL by the name of the journal. 

At the results page, I came across “Looking for The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)? You can find it here.” and clicked on More. 

That led me to the journal’s record, which shows that the library subscribes to the electronic version of the journal through Massachusetts Medical Society as well as SwetsWise. Clicking on either links will work since our subscription is still ongoing (indicated by – after the year).

After logging in with my NUSNET ID & password, I got to the New England Journal of Medicine page.

On this page, I tried browsing the full index but quickly realized that ABC News did not mention the volume and issue in which the article was published, and I was a little too lazy to browse through all the four April 2012 issues. So I decided to search by the dermatologist’s name, Jennifer Gordon.

A quick glance of the abstract shows that it’s the correct article, and so I clicked on PDF to download the article. Well, here’s the article!

So now you know how to search for journal articles, and don’t forget to use sunscreen!

1. Aaron Tay

Alternative method, you can search for the article directly in FindMore.

1. Go to advanced search.

2. From this publication: enter “The New England Journal of Medicine”

3. Restrict from 1 April 2012 – 30 April 2012

4. With all these terms: enter Jennifer Gordon

You will find the same links, which when clicked brings you directly to the article.

T