Ocean Vinyl

Hi everyone!

Just a short blog post for today to share something that I thought was pretty cool.  A few months back as I was buying new records online for my own collection, I came across this limited-edition vinyl record that was made from ocean plastic found on the British coast. I personally wanted one, but they were all sold out by the time I tried to buy it

The production of this vinyl record was a collaboration between Sharp’s Brewery and musician Nick Mulvey in his release of the track ‘In the Anthropocene’. The record was pressed on recycled plastic that had been washed up on the Cornish beaches. All proceeds from this release went to ‘Surfers Against Sewage’ to help protect the british coastlines from plastic pollution. Hugo Tagholm, the CEO of Surfers Against Sewage said that the ocean vinyl “uses plastic pollution and turns it into something positive” and that “[it] is a powerful way to help [them] raise money and continue to spread [their] message”.

In the Anthropocean – About Ocean Vinyl

On the release of my new song ‘In The Anthropocene’ I have partnered with Sharp's Brewery and Keynvor and we have created a UK first – Ocean Vinyl: a record made entirely from reclaimed plastic collected from Cornish Beaches.There are only 105 made! and you can get them from my online store, Sharp's online store and at select Drift record stores. Proceeds from vinyl purchases and digital streams go to Surfers Against Sewage to support their work protecting british coastlines. Stream & Buy here: https://nickmulvey.lnk.to/InTheAnthropoceneSo

Posted by Nick Mulvey on Wednesday, October 2, 2019

By using their platform for good and spreading awareness on environmental issues, in this case plastic pollution, the music industry can have a positive impact on our environment and make a difference be it big or small.

References:

Vinyl Made from Ocean Plastic Turns the Tables on the Music Industry: LBBOnline. (n.d.). Retrieved September 14, 2020, from https://www.lbbonline.com/news/vinyl-made-from-ocean-plastic-turns-the-tables-on-the-music-industry