Hello world!

Hi there!! I’m Kelsie, a Year 2 Geography student studying in the National University of Singapore. Welcome to my pollution blog for my module GE3246 (Environmental Pollution)! Through this blog I hope to explore how pollution is caused by the music industry.

You might be wondering, why music? How does music link to pollution??

Well, I chose to focus on pollution caused by the music industry specifically as music has always played very important role in my life since young. My love for music was strongly influenced by my dad as he used to be a DJ and therefore, I was constantly surrounded by music in the house.

Even though growing up, music had already been digitalised and most people would listen to it online or from a CD, there were still cassette tapes and vinyl records around my house that we would also listen to once in a while. For myself now, I have an old soul when it comes to music (in terms of both the music I listen to and the format I listen to it on) as I prefer to listen to older music on my record player as compared to listening to more modern music digitally.

Here’s a picture of me looking at some vinyls in a record store

Therefore, when tasked to choose a topic for our pollution blog, my first thought was music. I had honestly not thought about how music could be linked to pollution before but the idea of learning about it and sharing what I learn with everyone really piqued my interest as I feel that people would not usually associate music with pollution.

In this blog, I will be exploring all aspects of the music industry from the production of music and how the different forms of music (Cassette, Vinyl, Compact Disc, Digital) differ in terms of their environmental impact. I will also explore the pollution caused by music events such as concerts and music festivals, not only taking into account the pollution caused by the event itself but also pollution caused by the preparation of the event. Apart from these negative environmental impacts, i will also talk about how the music industry has created a positive environmental change in terms of raising awareness on the issues of pollution as well as the steps they are taking to try and reduce their negative environmental impact.

These are just some of the things I will be covering in this blog as I too hope to gain more knowledge along the way and share what I learn with all of you!!

Stay tuned!!

One thought on “Hello world!