Why take HY2206? Maybe the following testimonials from the course alumnus will convince you of what this module can offer beyond the historical content.

I came to Singapore as an exchange student approaching the end of my undergraduate studies specifically to be able to take courses on China and Chinese history, and to that end, my already high expectations were greatly exceeded. This was in no small part due to—perhaps most greatly contributed towards by—my time in Professor Wang Jinping’s class HY2206. It is difficult-to-absurd to attempt to condense the so-said 5,000 years of history into one semester, but Prof Wang has managed it, and what’s best, she *always* keeps the past in constant dialogue with the present. Her expertise and passion in both teaching and the subject matter make for a course that surprises as often as it illuminates, no matter your particular personal interests or preferred disciplinary approach.

From contemporary news articles to flashy video documentary to ancient writings to accessible textbook and more, the range of utilised materials always keeps the course interesting and appealing to all different types of learners. The required readings are relatively few, though Prof Wang is always happy to supply and recommend further scholarly texts or primary sources in the subjects or eras that interest the individual. The workload is also generously light; the real rigour comes in how much a given student is willing to go beyond requirements. If you wish to distinguish yourself and create great works, you will be enabled. If you wish to approach the class with a more casual attitude and learn at your own pace, this is also accommodated. Perhaps the greatest strength of the course is this sheer flexibility, making it accessible alike to zealous history majors hungry for depths of knowledge and curious exchange students wanting to acquire a broad and encompassing understanding of China’s past, its culture and people. The only particular traits I would recommend prospective students to have are an inclination towards critical thinking and an open mind. Such is key to be willing and able to follow Prof Wang’s guidance towards an understanding beyond dogmatically given narrative, dynastic or contemporary—such skills and mindset are useful and necessary far beyond any one course.

I would recommend this class to any and all students, no matter their major or be them from NUS or on exchange, for the rare opportunity to learn and create within the open, creativity and passion enabling, and constantly refined environment and curriculum that Prof Wang has cultivated. For any students with a specific interest in China’s past or present, however, HY2206 is indispensable.
Kaulakis John Edward

Year 3 (2022), Universiteit Maastricht (Arts & Culture)

It was a leap of faith for me to take a “true” art course because all my life I was schooled in the science stream and considering my home faculty, but to my pleasant surprise this turned out to be one of the best courses I’ve taken in NUS.

The content is for anyone, even if you did not know much prior to this course.  This was not the typical repeating of the most common narrative provided of history, but instead you will hear the perspectives of so many people on the same piece of history, like women, minorities, from the eyes of foreigners in or outside of China. Most importantly, through this course, you will come to understand better what made China the way she is today and why she does the things she does.

Imperial China history is so complex and Prof Wang has managed to, incredibly, not only summarise it within 13 weeks but consistently link it to how the repercussions of history ripples even in the current. The best part was that this history was explored in themes, like governance, philosophy, art, love, stories or fiction, something rather unthinkable for other courses. There was honestly never a dull moment in this course, and if you listen really close in class and take notes, you will find countless moments of insights and things that you will never find in mainstream texts or books.

This is probably the only course that will offer such unprecedented flexibility and freedom to explore your interests academically. Especially when you study such a broad topic such as the history of imperial China, there will always be that one or few areas that interests you unequivocally more than the others. In assignments, you will be free to pursue any area that you love, however unknown or obscure. And all under the guidance of the prof and the TA, some of the most empathetic, knowledgeable and open-minded people I’ve ever met.

I signed up for this course out of impulse because I realised I will never be able to read the descriptions of the Aertan or Charing and Oring of the 大清万年一统地理全图 myself and desperately wanted a better understanding. Yet here, I found far more than what I could have asked for in this short semester. It was always my wish to find an education for myself out of the traditional school system and this is where I found it. Perhaps this is where you can find it too, no matter your background.

(if you want to get to know your prof better, just check out the acknowledgements of “In the Wake of the Mongols”!)

Zhang Xu

Year 2 (2022), Business School (Business Administration)

I chose to take this module for a simple reason: to learn about the history of imperial China. Having completed the module, I would say I have definitely achieved this goal. It was very challenging to pack more than 2,000 years of history into the few lecture sessions we had (one each week), but the lecture content was very engaging and clearly segmented, providing a good foundation, from which I was more confident in exploring more about a particular time period or subject matter on my own. The tutorial sessions provided a good way to breach beyond our head knowledge and put our analytical skills to the test, learning to analyse primary sources and think more critically on complex issues.

With regards to the assignments and graded components, as a non-History (and non-FASS) major, I found it manageable, and ironically (for us students who generally dread assignments), even fun. During the mid-term, the assay we were tasked to write, based purely on primary sources, was challenging, but I gained invaluable and detailed feedback on how to write an analytical assay. Apart from this mid-term assay, the other assignments proved less technical, for instance, we were to participate in class forum discussions, tutorial participants and even come up with our very own passion project! This balance in graded assignments was a relief for a non-FASS background major student like me, but also taught me important skills I would otherwise have not been exposed to. I was also thrilled to select my own area of interest to delve into and present in any way I wanted. And of course, our TA Yu Xuan and Prof Wang always were approachable and understanding (& with infectious passion!), which really made the entire learning process a genuinely exciting one.

With all that being said, I would strongly encourage you to take this module if you love and are curious about imperial China (and have extra S/U credits if you are feeling a bit wary!). Since the lecture materials are not tested in the examinations, and the textbook readings can be time-consuming, if you are not very keen, you might find it tough to be motivated to go for classes without the passion for learning the subject matter. If you do take this module, I hope you find it as enjoyable as I did!

Dawn Liu Xiao Tian

Year 4 (2022), Faculty of Science (Life Sciences)

Covering the entire span of Imperial Chinese history in one semester may seem intimidating, but HY2206 makes the topic both approachable and fun for history and non-history majors alike. There’s a high proportion of non-history majors, so there’s no need to feel intimidated everyone’s kind of in the same boat.

Prof Wang covers a wide breadth of topics but doesn’t skimp on the details as well, resulting in a well-balanced mix of breadth and depth. Students are introduced to big-picture themes in Chinese history, as well as specific areas of interest such as religion, gender dynamics, economic and political systems, etc.. There really is something for most people, and Prof Wang and our TA Yu Xuan go the extra mile to make lectures and tutorials engaging and welcoming for students of all backgrounds.

Students are also exposed to a variety of assignment types (no exams!) and encouraged to delve deeper into topics we are personally interested in for the group project and individual assignment. It was a little tough but I had a lot of fun both working with my group and on my individual project, Prof and Yu Xuan were always happy to provide guidance along the way. If you’re interested in Imperial Chinese history, I’d say go for it!

Lee Tiang Ying

Year 2 (2022), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (Economics and History)

I would easily recommend HY2206 to any student interested in Chinese history or just history in general, even those from STEM or other non-FASS majors. The content is fascinating yet fairly digestible, so non-History major students should not feel intimidated. The open-topic nature of the projects also allow students to incorporate their specialised knowledge from their different majors to work on an area of Chinese history that they are passionate about, and contribute to the class in their unique ways.

Yao Leyang

Year 3 (2021), Faculty of Science (Applied Mathematics)

Professor Wang is one of the most amazing professors in NUS. She went the extra mile in ensuring that her students understood key historical concepts and events taught in class. Although I initially had ZERO knowledge about imperial China, I’m glad I concluded the course with a better understanding and appreciation for Chinese politics, culture, music, and food. I strongly recommend this module to anyone and everyone, regardless of your background or level – if I can do it, so can you 🙂

Mohamed Fayyaz

Year 4 (2021), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (Political Science)

Professor Wang is an amazing professor who puts in an enormous amount of effort into designing the HY2206 module and understanding the learning needs of her students. Apart from her receptiveness to students’ feedback, she also employs a variety of traditional and non-traditional resources to enrich students’ learning processes, ensuring that her classes are informative, interactive, and enjoyable. At the same time, the materials she employ are accessible to students of various backgrounds, allowing important and potentially complicated concepts and events to be understood in ways that are fun and non-intimidating. I have no issue in saying that HY2206 is one of the most enjoyable and memorable modules that I have taken in NUS. I highly recommend HY2206 to anyone who wish to learn more about the rich and interesting history of China.

Alvin Lin Ri Qi

This module is extremely friendly to all majors. If you’re afraid of writing essays, or afraid of reading boring and confusing 50-page pdfs, then this module is for you–because there is exactly none of that here. There are readings, but it is easy to digest and it is much lighter than you think. There are essays, but you can choose not to do it at all and opt for an individualised, customizable final project.

Tutorials are fun and engaging, leaning more on discussion and interaction with classmates. Many memories can be made especially through the group discussions and project showcase. Lectures are also very informative and succinct. All you need is to bring your brain, critical thinking skills, and a willingness to learn.

Prof Wang is always constantly improving her lessons throughout the semester by gathering feedback from the students. I highly recommend this module if you are looking for a light-hearted, interesting and informative module.

Kaye Yeo

Year 3 (2022), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (History)

Prof Wang is an excellent teacher that puts an equal emphasis on the student’s learning experience as the subject material. Tutorials are rigorous but also enlightening. The assignments allow students to deep dive into topics that interest them, as well as develop skills and competencies both history-related and beyond. I would highly recommend the module for anyone with interest in Chinese History or who would want to pursue an enriching History module in general 🙂

Joshua Tan

Year 2 (2021), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (History)

HY2206 was the first module on Chinese history I took in NUS. Prof Wang walked us through thousands of fascinating years in just a few profound weeks with disarming flair, captivation, and deep insight. For those who may be wary about assumed knowledge, Prof ensures that the content is current and accessible regardless of your academic background. I highly recommend you to take a chance with this module!

Calvin Heng

Year 4 (2021), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (History)

An inclusive module for a wide range of students, and gives opportunities to challenge anyone at any level. Class discussions were easily the highlight!

Benedict See-Toh Kam Hung

Year 3 (2021), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (History)

Prof Wang is one of the kindest and most receptive professor that I have ever met. She is always happy to talk to students and gives quality advice!

Shi Peiyun

Year 3 (2021), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (History and Sociology)

I had a very strong interest in imperial Chinese history even before university. HY2206 was amazing and met all of my expectations. Prof Wang is a very approachable Professor and will be more than willing to help guide her students. The module was fun and I made wonderful memories with my peers through the group project!

Rozanne Low