Author(s)

I noticed that modern popular Chinese music has evolved so much from traditional Chinese music. Hence, I became curious about its development during imperial China. It was my first time making a stop-motion video and stitching a video together and I realise how painstakingly long the process is. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed making it very much and I’ve learnt so much, especially on how Chinese values and characteristics are embedded in Chinese music!

Ong Kai Xuan (Haley)

Year 2 (2021), Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (History)

Author’s Reflection

My project is about the history of Chinese music in imperial China. Regardless of genre, music has been a huge part of my life. Since young, I listen to classical (Western) music to sleep and learnt how to play the piano since I was seven. Whenever I visited my grandparents in Malaysia, they lived above a rehearsal hall meant for Chinese Orchestra. As the gate to the hall was often unlocked, I would frequently sneak in there to snoop around and that was when I was exposed to many of the Chinese instruments, especially the percussion instruments. Additionally, both my parents have backgrounds in playing traditional Chinese instruments. In fact, that was how they met was through Chinese Orchestra when my father was a conductor and my mother as an erhu player. In secondary school and Junior College (JC), I also joined my school’s Chinese Orchestra for co-curricular activity. That was when my best memories were made. I was part of the percussion section and it was not easy as there was a wide variety of instruments we had to learn to play. Given my positionality as a history major, being curious about the history of Chinese music came naturally. Therefore, I decided on this topic.

My project is somewhat like a lecture-style presentation with video embedded (inspired by Prof Solomon). I have also created a stop-motion video highlight which focuses on one of the stories that are commonly associated with the classical piece. Some of the major learning points that I would like audiences to take away from the project are to be able to trace the developments, discover Chinese culture through music, identify how music reflects the dominant ideology of that time and link to how traditional Chinese music and instruments are used in contemporary China. The main ideologies I included are Harmony, Mandate of Heaven and Confucian Teachings. I have also included some audio of the rehearsals and performances from my secondary school. Most of the pieces included are performed by students in front of live audiences. Notably, many of us were nervous and we are not professionals so mistakes were made. Please don’t mind it! There is no obligation to listen to the pieces at all! I just thought of adding it in case you are curious about other Chinese Orchestra pieces.

Enjoy!