The onslaught of Pascua Lama: A case study

Hello, I hope everyone has been well.

Today we’ll be discussing the conflict between humans and glaciers. As I was reading about glaciers, I came across this quote which really resonated with me-

“As glaciers are more and more iconized with climate change, everything else about a glacier seems to fall away — their immense diversity and their complexity. Glaciers are increasingly reduced, simplified and detached from environments, from people, from socio-political-cultural processes. Instead, they’re known more for their single association with climate change.”

This quote is from a Ted Idea article by the glaciologist M Jackson, which you can read here.

Many people have many different experiences with glaciers, some positive and some negative. Glacial melting is seen as a good thing by some Icelanders, who feel at ease knowing that receding glaciers would no longer be able to cause damage to them and their homes. There are many stories associated with glaciers, so let me share one with you.

Pascua Lama as seen on Google Maps

This story is set on the border of Chile and Argentina, where the mining company Barrick Gold started the Pascua Lama project, a mining expedition which was set to remove parts of glacier to get to the gold underneath it. It was a huge expedition, which planned to remove 10 hectares of glacier ice (about 18.7 football fields) with a thickness of 3-5 metres. This had not taken into account the roads that had to be made for access to the mining area which would impact even more glaciers. A glacier the size of a football field, with a thickness of 3 metres holds about 30,000,000 litres of water, enough to sustain a person in Singapore for 582 years, given that Singapore’s per capita household daily water consumption was 141 litres in 2018. Not to forget the fact that glaciers are able to replenish their water stores as more snow falls and compacts on the glacier as mentioned in my previous post. Furthermore, the dust and soot from vehicles around the area had darkened the glacial ice, expediting the glacial melting as the ice absorbs more energy.

In Argentina at that time, there were no laws protecting glaciers. Barrick Gold had only mentioned a few glaciers in its environmental analysis done before starting its work, but Juan Pablo Milana, a glaciologist, had found that there were 50 in the immediate vicinity of the Pascua Lama and several hundred that exist on the access roads there. The number of glaciers around the San Juan province had not been properly researched before. If people did not know these glaciers existed, how could they protect them?  Until 2010, no laws existed to protect glaciers.

The more well-known Perito Moreno Glacier in Patagonia, Argentina. Image by Peter Olexa from PixaBay.

From this, we can understand how the lack of awareness can be dangerous for our environment. There are many stakeholders involved in the protection of glaciers. The issue of glacial melting is complex, and from this event we learn how such economic motives can hinder our fight against environmental problems.

I will be discussing more on this issue next week, so until then, stay safe!

References:

Glaciers: The Politics of Ice by Jorge Daniel Taillant

4 thoughts on “The onslaught of Pascua Lama: A case study

1. Hi Clive,

Thanks for sharing with us about glaciers every week, it has been interesting to learn about them.

I really like the line “If people did not know these glaciers existed, how could they protect them?”. I think this sums up not just the glacier crisis, but most of our environmental issues as well. Most notably, when we learnt about biodiversity a week ago I came to the realisation that we are very limited in what we can do because we simply know too little.

What are your thoughts on this lack of knowledge and our attempts at protecting the environment? Do we need more funding and research into particular areas and how should we go about achieving that?

Hope to hear your thoughts. Cheers!

1. Hi Jia Wei,

I appreciate your support for my writing 🙂

I totally agree, we know so little about the natural world and yet we act like we own it. It is very very sad. We definitely have to step up our efforts to protect the environment, but with such a complex problem, sometimes I feel like I cannot even begin to comprehend the entire scope of our environmental crisis. It would be easy for me to say that we should bump up funding and research for certain areas of environmental conservation, but the fact stands that different countries and stakeholders have different goals and priorities when it comes to development, be it sustainable development or just sustained development. As I always say, education is key and if we want change, getting governments and big corporations to give conservation efforts more REAL attention would be a good place to start.

Clive

2. Hi Clive,

Could I ask… you frame this story as one of conflict BETWEEN humans and glaciers… why do you view it that way ?

jc

1. Hi Dr Coleman,

I view this story as a ‘battle’ between the environment and humans, as humans degrade the environment for their own benefit. Of course, another way of looking at it would be seeing it as conflict between different stakeholders- pro-mining people and environmentalists for example.

Clive