Back when I was working for the National Parks Board, I wrote a promotional article about Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve (SBWR) for its 25th anniversary. My field trip with my NUS GE3255 class was truly a reflective experience as I walked down memory lane in the process. Unfortunately, despite the positive experience and the desire to return, life kept getting in the way until now. Even after four years, it is still one of the most serene places yet to escape the concrete jungle of Singapore.

As urbanised as Singapore is, did you know that SBWR is home to almost 50% of all mangrove species found globally? It is truly fascinating considering SBWR’s history and its already stressful natural conditions. It was cleared for intensive agriculture after losing its reserve status, only regaining it after seven long decades. Since then, it has lost half its original area, but life still thrives here!

Mangrove trees are organised into distinct zones (Figure 1) from land to sea due to consistently waterlogged soil and ever-changing saline conditions.

(Image Source)

Figure 1: Diagram showing common zonation patterns in Peninsular Malaysia (Hashim and Shahruzzman, 2017)

The flora closest to the sea, Api-Api Putih and Mangrove Apple (Figure 2) are distinct in terms of their leaf shape and flowering characteristics, however, they share a similar root structure – pencil and cone roots respectively (Figure 3).

Figure 2: (Left) Flowers and leaves of the Api-Api Putih (Avicennia alba); (Right) Fruit and leaves of the Mangrove Apple (Sonneratia alba) (Natasha Kong 2022)

(Image Source)

Figure 3: (Left) Pencil roots exposed after the tide receded (Image Source: Natasha Kong 2022); (Right) Illustration of Mangrove Apple’s (Sonneratia alba) roots (Göltenboth and Schappe 2006)

They are almost consistently submerged, hence explaining the need to grow above and beyond to attain as much oxygen whenever possible. Interested to know even more fun facts? Api-Api trees are also the first colonisers in degraded areas, stabilising the environment for others. As for the Mangrove apple trees, they share the same pollinators as our beloved durian, and these only show how important they are to have around.

Walking away from the water, we soon came across large prop roots (Figure 4) belonging to the red mangroves or Rhizophora species.

Figure 4: Prop roots of the Red Mangroves (Rhizophora) (Natasha Kong 2022)

While all mangrove roots enable gaseous exchange, it is not the only purpose. For Rhizophora, the roots also provide stability against their preferred softer soils. In fact, they are also the ones mostly protecting the coastlinesimportant for us as an island nation.

Fun fact – these trees also attract fireflies and light up like Christmas trees after dark.

On the topic of wildlife, we came across giant mudskippers (Figure 5) in the middle zone of the mangroves. They are easily spotted at low tides and are far from being fishes out of water as they absorb oxygen through their gills and skin. You may see many of them at SBWR – positive indicators of their habitat’s health. However, they are still, sadly, listed as “threatened” due to human activity.

Figure 5: Giant mudskipper (Periophthalmodon schlosseri) resting on a prop root (Natasha Kong 2022)

Another interesting creature I saw at SBWR was the Singapore vinegar crab (Figure 6). Distinguished by its red claws and aptly named, it was a favourite amongst the Teochew people as an accompaniment to congee.

Figure 6: Singapore vinegar crab (Episesarma singaporense) resting on a prop root – do you spot yet another mudskipper camouflaged on the prop root too? (Natasha Kong 2022)

They are not only a delicacy, but they also aid in nutrient recycling with their leafy diet. Thankfully, they are still abundant. However, who knows what will happen to these adorable crustaceans in the near future, especially with climate change and seemingly never-ending land reclamation? Luckily, recent efforts have been made to restore the mangroves at SBWR and around Singapore (Figure 7).

Figure 7: Mangrove Restoration Plot – something that was not present during my last visit in 2018 (Natasha Kong 2022)

Compared to my last visit, I suppose it is true – “No matter how many times you return to the same trail, nothing will ever be the same”. It will always be a different experience every single time, or at least to me, with feelings ranging from curiosity to reflection to hope – that’s the magic of SBWR. So what are you waiting for? Make a trip down, and witness nature at its finest in Singapore, I can assure that you will not regret it!

Written by: Natasha Naomi Kong Pei Li