Faculty Teaching Excellence Awards 2012

The Faculty congratulates the following recipients of the Faculty Teaching Excellence Award 2012:

NAME

DEPARTMENT

Dr Aamir Rafique Hashmi

Economics

A/P Alan D Ziegler

Geography

Ms Chen Ing Ru
“I try to understand how my students learn, anticipate their needs and incorporate them into my teaching”

Centre for Language Studies

Dr Chen Yi-Chun
“They teach me as much as I teach them, probably more”

Economics

Dr Cheong Lee Peng
“Teaching is fulfilling for me because I strive to nurture and empower learners and take on each lesson as a fresh challenge”

Centre for Language Studies

Ms Chi Seo Won
“A language course has to prepare students to effectively apply their linguistic knowledge in communicative situations in the real world”

Centre for Language Studies

A/P Chia Ngee Choon
“To bring to life technical and complex economic concepts and to show students how these concepts can explain important current economic issues”

Economics

Dr Chris McMorran
“Give students the correct tools and step aside”

Japanese Studies

Dr Emi Morita

Japanese Studies

A/P Eric Charles Thompson
“Education is our passport to the future; for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today”

Sociology

Dr Goh Chor Leng Esther
“Carefully selected stories and artfully delivered access the hearts of students directly bypassing their heads – an impactful medium for conveying desired values and attitudes”

Social Work

Mr Gui Kai Chong
“Teaching does not always make students feel a sense of ‘closure’. Sometimes it makes them see many ‘new beginnings”

Communications & New Media

Dr Hon Hsueh Hsien Nicholas
“With regards to teaching, one of the best things I ever learned:  Knowledge is as much constructed as received”

Psychology

Dr Iliana Magiati
“I strive to find different and creative ways to help students understand and experience how psychological theories can be applied in clinical practice”

Psychology

Dr Irving Chan Johnson
“Patience, Patience, Patience”

Southeast Asian Studies

Dr Jack Fairey
“An uncle of mine who taught Drama always told me:  You don’t know a subject until you have taught it to others”

History

A/P James Peter Terry
“Each classroom lecture and laboratory practical should be an educational journey to ‘destinations’ exotic, relevant and inspiring”

Geography

Dr Jessica Pan

Economics

Dr John Paul DiMoia

History

A/P Joseph Park Sung-Yul
“The process of learning is like a journey through the unknown”

English Language and Literature

Dr Kim Chonghyuck
“The teacher who is indeed wise does not bid you to enter the house of his wisdom but rather leads you to the threshold of your mind” – Khalil Gibran

English Language and Literature

Dr Lee Seow Ting
“I support my students in sustained exploration and synthesis in a Socratic environment of learning that is fun, lively and enjoyable”

Communications & New Media

Dr Lim Wee Hun, Stephen
“My deepest desire is to continue bringing life-transforming education to all my students”

Psychology

Dr Loon Seong Yun, Robin
“I know I’ve taught successfully when my students are able to articulate what they see as the relevance of studying theatre to their lives”

English Language and Literature

Dr Low Eng Yong Kelvin
“I strive to push the boundaries of how students perceive the social world in which they live and form a part”

Sociology

A/P Loy Hui Chieh
“You could teach to live, and you might live to teach, but harder than both is to live what you teach…”

Philosophy

A/P Maitrii Aung-Thwin
“A good liberal arts education is like working out in the gym: you need a whole range of exercises for complete fitness”

History

A/P Maribeth Erb
“Teaching is Learning; I have been privileged to learn from, as well as along with, my students”

Sociology

A/P Maurizio Peleggi
“What I try to communicate to my students is that learning is not confined to the classroom and is also a life-long pursuit”

History

A/P Ong Chang Woei
“Teach according to each individual’s ability(yin cai shi jiao – 因材施教)”

Chinese Studies

A/P Ooi Beng Yeow Vincent
“As a teacher, I try to foster a learning environment for my students to discover more knowledge by themselves, harness technology more effectively, interact engagingly, empathise sincerely, and believe in life-long learning”

English Language and Literature

A/P Paulin Tay Straughan
“It is truly a privilege to work with and learn from my students.  I love teaching, and I have been blessed with really awesome students.  Their enthusiasm for learning and their generous appreciation of what I can offer as an education encourage me to do my best for them”

Sociology

A/P Tan Ern Ser
“I believe students learn best when they are restful and motivated by passion for the subject, rather than by fear of getting bad grades or embarrassment in front of peers”

Sociology

Dr Tania Roy
“In the classroom, the conversation between student and teacher – as between text and reader – ultimately exceeds the will of each partner”

English Language and Literature

A/P Titima Suthiwan
“A language class is where knowledge and imagination blend seamlessly, creativity is at work, while the inquisitive mind is challenged”

Centre for Language Studies

A/P Goh Choon Peng, Winston
“You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself”
– Galileo Galilei“A teacher is one who makes himself progressively unnecessary” – Me

Psychology

Dr Yap Ju-Min Melvin
“Learning is more resilient and flexible under conditions that make things “hard” for the learner, i.e., there are desirable difficulties”

Psychology

Dr Yeoh Guan Hin, Gilbert

English Language and Literature

Dr Yoshinori Nishizaki
“I just try to emulate the examples set by my good teachers in the past”

Political Science

Ms Yukiko Saito

Centre for Language Studies

In addition, the Faculty would also like to congratulate the following four recipients of the special awards:

Innovation Awardmost innovative use of technology in and out of the classroom
– Dr Chris McMorran (JS)

Versatility Award versatility in modules taught (ie. impressive range in student numbers, module level, mix of new and existing modules etc.)
– Dr Yeoh Guan Hin, Gilbert (ELL)

Educational Leadership Awardrecognises contributions to department/faculty/university level programmes (eg. curriculum revamp, policy development, pedagogical advancement, other forms of leadership)
Ms Chen Ing Ru (CLS)

Students’ Choice Award outstanding student feedback based on excellent teaching, approachability and helpfulness.
Dr Lim Wee Hun, Stephen (PL)