Name: TAN Chuen Seng
Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health
Tahir Foundation Building
National University of Singapore
12 Science Drive 2
(65) 6516 4988
(65) 6779 1489
Ph.D. in Medical Science under the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 2008
Thesis: Statistical methods for biomarker discovery in proteomics.
M.Sc. by Research under the Department of Statistics and Applied Probability, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2002
Thesis: Modeling buying behavior.
B.Sc. with Honors in Mathematics, Science Faculty, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2001
B.Sc. with Merit in Economics and Mathematics, Science Faculty, National University of Singapore, Singapore, 2000
- Assistant Professor at the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, National University of Singapore (Jul 2012 – present)
- Research Fellow at the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, National University of Singapore (Aug 2011 – Jun 2012)
- Postdoctoral Research Associate and Co-Instructor at the John Storey Laboratory, Lewis-Sigler Institute for Integrative Genomics, Princeton University (Nov 2008 – Aug 2011)
- Research Assistant at the Center for Molecular Epidemiology, National University of Singapore-Genome Institute of Singapore (Sept 2002 – Oct 2008)
Positions, Scholarships, Awards and Travel Grants
- Awarded the Long Service Award by the National University of Singapore, 2020.
- Associate Editor, BMC Public Health, 2019 – Present.
- Featured in National University Health System’s Our People Our Pride Series! that profiles staff who have gone the extra mile when doing their work, April 2015.
- Gold award at the PS21 ExCEL Awards 2014, Most Innovative Project/Policy category. A member of the team that won the ward. The team is being recognized for its innovative project/policy in patient care through public-private collaboration.
- Collaborative research work in clinical genomics on trauma considered the coolest genomic advances in September 2011 by National Human Genome Research Institute, USA: http://www.genome.gov/27545972.
- Awarded Karolinska Institutet travel grant for a poster presentation at “Conference on Design and Analysis Issues in Genomic Studies in Population Sciences,” October 11-12, 2007, Boston, USA.
- Awarded travel grant from the organizers of “Statistics for Biomolecular Data Integration and Modeling Workshop,” June 10-15, 2007 in Ascona, Switzerland.
- Awarded National University of Singapore Research Scholarship in 2001/2002 when pursing the Masters of Science under the Accelerated Masters Programme by Research.
- Awarded National University of Singapore, Science Faculty Dean’s List in 1997/98 Semester I and 1998/99 Semester II.
- 18-20 Dec 2021, “Treating ordinal outcomes as continuous quantities: when, why and how”, 14th International Conference of the ERCIM WG on Computational and Methodological Statistics, King’s College London, United Kingdom.
- Nov 11-12, 2020, “The rank-ordered logit model as an alternative to the linear regression model for analyzing ordinal outcomes”, International Conference on Mathematics, Statistics, and Data Science, Department of Statistics and Department of Mathematics, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, IPB University, Indonesia.
- Nov 4, 2019, “Identifying and addressing dichotomania: A case study in glucometrics”, Joint SSHSPH – Duke-NUS Symposium, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Sep 17, 2018, “A robust approach to confounder adjustment in epidemiological studies of continuous outcomes”, Faculty of Medicine, Brescia University, Italy.
- Aug 20-21, 2015, “Data Science and Analytics in Public Health and an Academic Health System”, 10th Singapore Public Health & Occupational Medicine Conference, Singapore.
- Jul 27, 2015, “Practising Data Science and Analytics in an Academic Health System” at Department of Primary Care & Public Health, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, United Kingdom.
- Jun 24, 2015, “Practising Data Science and Analytics in Public Health and an Academic Health System” at Jockey Club School of Public Health, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- May 28, 2014, “Utilizing Repeated Measurements for Etiological Studies” at Memory Ageing and Cognition Centre Research Talks, National University Health System, Singapore.
- May 6, 2014, “Bioinformatics: Its Application in Critical Care with Gene Expression Change” at the Critical Care Research Workshop, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Jul 24, 2013, “Taking good care of your data with SPSS” at Memory Ageing and Cognition Centre Research Talks, National University Health System, Singapore.
- Feb 26, 2013, “Biomarker Discovery with Dynamic Gene Expression Profile in Clinical Datasets” at the Third Singapore Conference on Statistical Science, Faculty of Science, National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Jun 24, 2012, “Microarray Based Inference with the Optimal Discovery Procedure” at the 21st ICSA Applied Statistics Symposium, Boston, USA.
- Mar 23, 2012, “Epidemiology of Prostate Cancer in Singapore and Asia – Past, Present and Future” at the First IBN ‘Biomarkers in Medicine’ Symposium held on at the Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore.
- Sep 30, 2011, “Dissecting Inflammatory Complications in Critically Injured Patients by Within-Patient Gene Expression Changes: A Longitudinal Clinical Genomics Study” at the Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics,Karolinska Institutet, Sweden.
- Oct 25, 2006, “Peak detection of SELDI measurements for identifying protein biomarkers” at the Biostatistics Workshop, jointly organized by the Institute for Mathematical Sciences (IMS) and the Department of Statistics and Applied Probability of the National University of Singapore, Singapore.
- Jun 8, 2005, “SELDI peak annotation” at the Translation Medicine Seminar on Protein Biomarker Discovery-to-Assay (Pattern Track) Using a Single Platform (SELDI), organized by the Karolinska Biomics Center, Sweden.