BES Nay Day 2018

BES Nay Day, which was previously called BES Day is our annual event that welcomes the new BES freshmen into the BES community. It also acts as an opportunity for those who missed the Freshmen Orientation Camp to meet their fellow batchmates and their seniors. As this event serves to facilitate inter- and intra- batch bonding, it was renamed NAY (New Academic Year) Day to differentiate from BES Day, another event that will involve the coming together of the whole BES community including faculty, admin staff and alumni.

For this year’s NAY day, we gathered at a barbecue pit in East Coast Park and enjoyed a wonderful evening by the sea. The freshmen and seniors bonded by playing frisbee, making sandcastles, barbecuing and chilling on the beach with the cool sea breeze!

A BES event would not be complete if it was not environmentally friendly — students were encouraged to bring their own non-disposable cutlery and utensils to reduce the use of single-use plastics! We asked some of the freshmen about what they thought about BES Nay Day 2018, and here’s what they had to say:

Christal Tang:

“Being a vegetarian, I was a bit skeptical of how much I would enjoy the BES nay day BBQ. Luckily, I was proven wrong. The company and laughter more than made it up. Plus, they even had some vegetarian food options and I got to meet other vegetarians there too. It was great catching up with my OG as well as talking to other batchmates and seniors. Our BES community is really small and it’s great to be able to get to know everyone better. Thank you to everyone who made this day possible!! :)) “

Lee Yi Peng Ryan:

“I could not make it for BES camp as I was overseas. Missing BES camp was a bummer for me as I was excited to meet new friends in a small community like ours. Luckily for me, I was invited for BES NAY DAY. Initially, I was worried as I did not know anyone from the course, but everyone was friendly and welcoming and I had fun interacting with coursemates from my year and the seniors too! Its nice to know that you go to classes and your coursemates are right by your side; being able to eat lunch and just have a life out of the mundane university curriculum.”

Lavanya Prakash:

“Since I didn’t attend the BES Camp, I had missed out on meeting my peers and seniors. I felt a bit upset that everybody had got to know each other and had buddies to go with for lectures and tutorials. When I heard that the student committee was organizing NAY Day I was really looking forward to it. The event turned out to be much better than I expected! It was a great opportunity to network and get to know my fellow batchmates and seniors in a chill and relaxed way! Everybody was so warm and welcoming. I really enjoyed the event!”

Thanks to the BES Student Committee, BES Nay Day 2018 was a great success! As the evening came to a close, the freshmen students felt refreshed and energised to start their busy university life with their new friends in the close-knit community. We look forward to next year’s NAY day where we welcome yet another batch of students into the BES community.

Have a great semester ahead!