How to get us to quit fast fashion

My initial plan for this post was to talk solely about clothes swapping, but I’ve changed my mind. Instead, I’ll talk about that, and address a question that my classmate, Letitia, asked in my last post. Specifically, she asked about how to convince others to quit fast fashion. 

I’d say this is how we could address this:

1. Education. The Straits Times Life Journalist Melissa Heng shared in an interview with my Project Work group in 2017:

If the younger generation can be educated to understand the impact of a fast fashion then they are more likely to make environmentally friendly life choices.”

I think the best place where this can be implemented is in schools. Students should be taught about the impact of the fashion industry as part of the existing environmental education programme by WWF

Echoing Ms Heng, education can give rise to a generation bubbling with ideas for a ‘Fashion 2.0’, just like how there are student innovations in so many other fields. 

2. Make sustainable fashion accessible/affordable. As I’ve mentioned in previous posts, buying sustainable and ethical fashion is, currently, not all that straightforward. And maybe you’re one of those who’ve managed to find a trustworthy brand that also sells stunning designs- only to realise that their prices aren’t exactly wallet-friendly. Like I have, many times…

If you can relate, consider second-hand or swapped goods (which are eco-friendlier than new apparel). 

For example, we could have more swapping and thrift stores that are conveniently located and well-maintained, with in-store clothes altering services

3. Make sustainable and ethical fashion the norm. Let’s see if sustainable fashion habits are on its way to becoming a norm:

Figure: Survey done for ENV1101 Blog. About two-thirds of the 30 respondents had practised clothes swapping before. 

Honestly, I didn’t expect so many to have swapped before! Maybe most meant swapping among family members- a common practice.

Figure: Survey done for ENV1101 Blog. Over half of the 30 respondents said they’d heard of local apparel swapping stores.

Again, I didn’t expect such positive results. But, I realise now that I didn’t define swapping for them, so the results are inaccurate. Maybe some confused it with thrifting. 

(I’m still curious- which swapping stores are they talking about? I wish I had asked that question to understand them better…)

Coming back to the solution, we could tap on the existing popularity of swapping and expand it through education. This would lead to more people trying to adopt sustainable fashion practices like swapping and thrifting. Sustainable fashion could then become more of a norm than an exception

Of course, this is no ‘silver bullet’. Nevertheless, education should be the first step. 

On that note, I hope my posts thus far have helped you all understand why we shouldn’t buy fast fashion. Thank you to all my readers, every one of your support means to me. 

Though this module has concluded, I will try to update this blog once in a while.

P.S.: Next time you need to shop, consider shopping second-hand! You may want to check out this blog for some ideas on where you can do that.

Take care and see you soon! 

Evelyn 🙂

2 thoughts on “How to get us to quit fast fashion

1. Hi Evelyn,

Thanks for all the information about fast-fashion these past few months. I have truly learnt a lot from your blog, about something so relatable in my everyday life. It has definitely made me think twice, or thrice about the clothes I wear and buy.

Why do you think that education should be the first step in advocating sustainable fashion?

Cheers
    Victoria

1. Hey Victoria,

Thanks for reading my blog! I’m so glad you’ve found it useful. I enjoyed reading your blog, too 🙂

Answering your question, I think education should be the first step as only after realising that there’s a problem with sticking with the status quo would people look for a solution.

For example, I only was convinced about refusing fast fashion after I read about the deplorable working conditions of their garment factory workers, and the Rana Plaza collapse. I feel that only if people actually knew about what happens behind fast-fashion would they believe in the need to stop supporting it.

I think this goes with all movements for change- it begins with raising awareness.

I hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
      Evelyn 🙂