Hello everyone! Welcome to my first post!

In recent times, I noticed that we have an increasing number of youths getting interested in politics. This can be attributed to the growing popularity of social media or the fact that teenagers are inherently drawn to social issues due to their acceptance of the unconventional. And it’s safe to say that I am one of them. I learnt a lot about the political scene in India growing up and this made me more sensitive to issues surrounding equality, discrimination and human rights.

I also have always been drawn to nature and the environment around me. So, I was quick to become more interested in environmental issues. As a BES Student, I am curious about how all these issues tie together. On top of understanding issues on an individual scale, I want to look at the bigger picture of how social constructs in different countries influence the way people think and therefore reinforce these ideas.

Hiking at MacRitchie!

What is especially striking to me is how these constructs, created by people, can imprison and confine us. It may seem obvious to us that certain concepts are outdated and toxic to society, yet in certain societies, these ideologies can be so ingrained that they form the backbone of culture and society. Doesn’t that then make you wonder about the hidden constructs within our own society? In this blog, we will explore how social constructs and politics in different countries can account for unique environmental issues.

I am really excited to embark on this blog as it will be a great opportunity for me to form a deeper understanding of social issues. I want to work towards being more knowledgeable about social constructs and I hope you are also excited to be coming on this journey with me!

~ Yalini

(Cover photo: Photo by Lukas from Pexels)