#1: Welcome!

Hello dear readers!

Welcome to my blog! (^o^)/

My name is Tasha and I’m pursuing a Bachelor of Environmental Studies (BES) at the National University of Singapore (NUS). Like many others in this programme, I’m interested in learning about the world out there and how we can save it from a crisis of no return – the environmental crisis. Though I’ve been exposed to this field since I was young, there’s still a whole lot I know nothing about. The next few years of my life will be an exploration in this area, and I can’t wait to start with this blog!

To put it simply, this blog will discuss how humans behave in response to various aspects of the environmental crisis.

Over the past few years, I’ve seen reports on rising sea levels, increasing global temperatures, and how we’re running out of time. I’ve also read about positive things, like how durian husks can be turned into biodegradable material, and how the giant panda is no longer classified as an endangered species. I see reasons to worry about the future, but I also see reasons to be hopeful. Most importantly, I see reasons to act.

Yet, I still wonder, how did a person who doesn’t believe in climate change get elected for president? Why do people still use disposable cups and straws, despite all the news about microplastic pollution? And most of all, what will it take to get people to save the Earth?

I don’t deny that pursuits in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields are crucial in our eco-quest. But I have come to believe that there are social and psychological hindrances, and these need just as much attention, if not more. This blog will be about trying to understand those obstacles, and exploring ways in which we, as individuals and a society, may be able to overcome them.

Though I cannot promise I will find the answers to the questions above, I hope to learn as much as I can in my attempts to do so. And if you could join me, I will be most grateful.

Until the next post, thanks for reading!

Tasha (^-^)/