Lecture 1: Introduction

12 August, 2011

During this lecture, we will first go through some admin matters and answer the question: why should you learn OS? We will then briefly discuss what is an OS and its dual role as a programming interface and resource manager. Students will learn about the concepts of system calls, user mode/kernel mode, multi-programming, and time-sharing.

Download Slides: PDF

Reading:

• Section 1.1: Introduces what is an OS.
  • Section 1.2, 1.3: History and Taxonomy of OS (FYI only).
  • Section 1.4: Review of CS2100 (good to read to refresh your memory).
  • Section 1.6 (till 1.6.1): How a system call is invoked — no details for now.

Related Wikipedia entries are listed below. These are for students who are keen to go beyond what is covered in CS2106. Read the articles with a critical mind since Wikipedia is editable by anyone.

15 thoughts on “Lecture 1: Introduction

1. Hi,
    I was reading Section 1.6.1 and I saw Figure 1-18.
    The figure says that it lists some of the major POSIX system calls. However, many of the calls are the same as you would make when writing a C program (eg., read(fd, buffer, nbytes)). Therefore, I was wondering if the figure actually shows the system calls or rather the library functions which in turn make the corresponding system calls.
    I tried to investigate this issue on the web and Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_call) says – ‘It should be noted that the terms “system call” and “syscall” are often incorrectly used to refer to the aforementioned C standard library functions, particularly those that act as a wrapper to corresponding system calls with the same name.’
    Is this what is happening here?
    Thanks.

• Hi Shubham,

I think the author of the textbook refers to a particular system call by the name of the corresponding procedure that invokes it. It is because the book is dealing with a specific system, i.e. POSIX. In fact, before moving to the sub-section 1.6.1, the author mentions that “In the following sections, we will examine some of the most heavily used POSIX system calls, or more specifically, the library procedures that make those system calls”.

• @Shubham, Duy is right. Most of the time, there is a one-to-one mapping between a POSIX library function and a system call. We will see some cases where this is not true over the semester.

2. Simply want to say your article is as amazing.
    The clearness in your post is just great and i could assume you’re an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to keep updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please carry on the gratifying work.

3. This is the right blog for anybody who would like to understand this topic.
    You understand so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that I actually will need to…HaHa).

You definitely put a brand new spin on a topic that’s been discussed for decades. Great stuff, just wonderful!

4. hi!,I love your writing so a lot! share we communicate extra about your post on AOL?

I need an expert in this house to solve my problem.
    Maybe that’s you! Having a look forward to peer you.

5. Can I simply say what a relief to discover an individual who actually knows what they are discussing on the net.
    You definitely understand how to bring an issue to light and make
    it important. A lot more people need to check this out and understand this side of
    your story. It’s surprising you are not more popular given that you surely have the gift.