for the privileged? (part 2)

In my previous blog post, I introduced 2 main ways I believe privilege manifests in sustainability; it enables, and it divides. As promised, in part 2 I will be delving into the way privilege drives a wedge between us.

privilege is dividing

As more people rally behind the sustainability cause, conversely, more are excluded and left behind. Sounds bizarre? Let me explain. As the sustainability effort grows, usually in the traditional and unilateral direction, the ‘systematic implications of privilege and power’ are often ignored (source).

To illustrate, let’s make up the character Bob. Bob has recently gotten really into socio-environmental issues and decides to switch to a more sustainable lifestyle. He then encourages all his friends to make the same positive changes, some of which may not be possible for more disadvantaged groups outside his circle. As a result, social value is given to those who can follow his lead, as they have a positive impact on the environment, while those unable to are excluded. This creates a ‘mainstream dynamic’ where those who were able to become like Bob are preferred and form the mainstream group (source). The mainstream then enjoys ‘unearned privileges’ (i.e., exclusive advantages, opportunities, and choices) which, over time, will allow them to acquire power and influence over their community (source). And ultimately, a feedback loop is created where power reinforces the status quo and societal norms and Bob has successfully become a cult leader.

Through this loop, the divide between the privileged and the less privileged is driven deeper.

Illustration of the example above

why it matters in sg

With Singapore split into 4 main ethnic groups, and astoundingly few cases of open racial conflict, she is often lauded—even envied—for her racial harmony and multiculturalism. However, just how much of that is surface level?

In an environment where the skin colour of Indians can be compared to that of human excrement, and be laughed off as a joke. Where the stereotype that all Malays are lazy can be openly perpetuated, and no one blinks an eye. Where landlords can refuse prospective tenants for being of a certain race. In an environment with such rampant casual racism, is Singapore truly the harmonious melting pot she is made up to be?

‘Chinese privilege’ exists in Singapore. No doubt. Instead of shying away from the topic, it is important, especially for us Chinese, to toss away our rose-tinted glasses and recognise the social and economic advantages ethnic Chinese enjoy just by being part of the dominant 74.4% majority (source).

When the playing field isn’t even level, how can we expect individuals to make homogenous lifestyle changes?

in closing

Privilege is quite an uncomfortable subject to talk about. There is a certain air of shame that is tagged to it. Well, I don’t imagine many people would be completely comfortable talking about how they might have easier lives just by being born in better circumstances (even writing this post made me feel all squirmy).

But if we strip back the layers, what is privilege but a tool? As discussed in these 2 posts, it is a tool that, among many things, enables, but also divides. What if instead of being something to shamefully hide, it becomes a tool unabashedly used for the betterment of the world? What would that look like?

4 thoughts on “for the privileged? (part 2)

1. Hi Rachel! What an interesting read, I must say I have never thought about this issue prior to reading your post. You mentioned about how privilege widens the divide, but is there any way or solution to reverse this?

– Amanda

1. Hi Amanda, thanks for your comment!
      As much as I wish that there was a single solution that could solve the problem of privilege, I don’t think it exists. I think one main reason why privilege is so hard to address is that it is normalised. We don’t see a problem, hence we don’t see a need to solve a problem that doesn’t exist. Well, in the end, I believe change first starts with being aware. Let’s just hope that change will happen before it’s too late.

2. Hey Rachel! Thank you for talking and acknowledging that Chinese privilege exists in sg. Privilege exists and it is something that should be talked about! I believe that the privileged should utilise their privilege to further validate the cries of privilege and racism. That would be the best display of support. What do you think?
    Lixuan

1. Hi Li Xuan!

I definitely think the same way! Privilege is a big problem because it is normalised and the people who have it don’t often realise they have it. And if you can’t see a problem, why would you go to fix a problem that doesn’t exist?

I believe it just takes one. Someone to see a problem and tell everyone else it is a problem. Being an ally can be hard, especially it involves acting against the flow, and it’s only human to want to fit in with the rest. I’m not perfect either. Even when I’m aware of a problem, sometimes I don’t say a word. “Just this one time,” I tell myself. But if just speaking up is uncomfortable, I wonder how much harder is it for those who are actually marginalised?