CNM Alumnus, Elmie Nekmat finishes his PhD with top honours

CNM alum, Elmie Nekmat (MA, 2010) graduated with a Ph.D. in Communication and Information Sciences from the University of Alabama.  He graduated fabulously – by receiving the 2013 Knox Hagood Doctoral Student Award for outstanding performance, collegiality, and potential to contribute to the field.

He is currently doing a visiting scholarship under NUS’ postdoctoral fellowship and a visiting scholar at the Department of Communication, University of California Santa Barbara.

“Time passed quickly for me during my Ph.D years, when I was swamped with classes and research projects, and needing to balance them all with family obligations. But, the experience was also a “growth spurt” in my life.  It taught me the importance of time management and resilience.  Apart from work and studies, my time doing the Ph.D. was filled with the camaraderie from my peers and professors at the University of Alabama. The intellectual stimulation and cheer from the many conversations with these wonderful people had made this phase of my life all the more meaningful”.

Elmie is interested in the processes and effects of online communication for public opinion formation, collective action and strategic communication.  For his dissertation, he examined the effects of online message sources on people’s willingness to take part in collective activities.  He also researches on media literacies, particularly those dealing with digital communication technologies.

Elmie has presented at national and international conferences, and won recognition for his papers, including those from the International Communication Association, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, and the Broadcast Education Association.

Elmie had gone to the US on the NUS Overseas Graduate Scholarship.

About Gulizar Haciyakupoglu

A PhD Candidate at Communications & New Media Programme, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
Bookmark the permalink.