Research Talk by Dr. Iccha Basnyat

Contextualizing Culture and Health Research & Teaching

Date and Time: Wed, 10 October, 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM

Venue: CNM Meeting room, AS6, #03-33, 11 Computing Drive, Singapore 117416, National University of Singapore

Google Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=216145972968108395697.0004aac0a1d6b58712a85

Introduction

In this talk, I will give an overview of my research and teaching that intersect health communication & communication management.  My work is rooted in culture & health. Particularly, my work examines structural and cultural context that constitutes understanding of health, and negotiation of health meanings in lieu of limitations to access/resources. I will contextualize this research and connect it to the work I do and plan to do as well as how it informs my teaching. I will also discuss how culture and health inform my work and how this line of research aims to connect research, teaching and practice for positive social impact by examining how the dominant health discourse is constructed and promoted.

Speaker’s bio:

Dr. Iccha Basnyat is a visiting fellow in the Department of Communications and New Media at the National University of Singapore. She has a BA in Communication from the University of Utah and an MPH from the University of Massachusetts-Amherst. She joined CNM in 2008 after receiving her Ph.D. in Health Communication from Purdue University. Her research and teaching intersect in the areas of health communication and communication management. She teaches communication management modules while her research is rooted in culture and health. She has published her work in Health Education & Behavior, Asian Journal of Communication, Journal of Broadcasting and Electronic Media, Computers in Human Behaviour, Health Communication.

Bookmark the permalink.