Research Talk by Dr. Alex Mitchell

“What I Talk About When I Talk About Interactive Stories”

Date: Wednesday, 29 August, 2012

Time: 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM

Venue: CNM Playroom, AS6, #03-38, 11 Computing Drive, Singapore 117416, NUS

Google Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=216145972968108395697.0004aac0a1d6b58712a85

Abstract

In this talk, I will give an overview of my research at the intersection of storytelling, games and interactive media design. My early work looked at collaboration and storytelling, investigating the impact of a shared workspace on writers’ development of shared understanding. I have also developed shared virtual spaces for learning through storytelling and play, and games and interactive artworks which explore various aspects of interactivity. I will connect this earlier work to my recent research, which has focused on rereading in interactive stories, and discuss my plans to further explore the aesthetics and poetics of interactive media in the context of interactive storytelling.

About the speaker:

Dr. Alex Mitchell teaches interactive media design in the Department of Communications and New Media at the National University of Singapore. He has a B.Sc. and an M.Sc. in Computer Science from the University of Toronto, and recently completed his PhD at the NUS Graduate School for Integrative Sciences and Engineering, where he was attached to the Partner Technologies Research Group. Alex’s current research investigates various aspects of computer-based art and entertainment, focusing in particular on interactive stories. This work involves creating digital and non-digital interactive storytelling systems, using these systems to develop creative works, and observing how people respond to the resulting pieces. It also involves theoretical work to understand what is happening in and around this process.

Bookmark the permalink.