Wardrobe Audit

Submitted to GEC1042 Fashion: East and West Final Reflection Report

Part 1: At the Beginning of the Course

Wardrobe Audit: My Reflection on Fashion and Personal Values

A wardrobe is not just a storage space for clothes; it can also serve as a gallery for self-expression. By closely examining my wardrobe, I’ve come to realize that it reflects not only my personal style but also my values, attitudes toward fashion, and shopping preferences. The course GEC1042 has been instrumental in shaping my understanding of fashion as more than just a form of self-expression. It has introduced me to the complex interplay between fashion, culture, and identity, particularly in East-West interactions.

Open my wardrobe and take an overview of my “textile gallery.” When I organize my clothes, I stack items of similar colors together. From top to bottom, corners of the wardrobe are filled with shorts, trousers, short sleeves, and long sleeves, all grouped by color. Even though they may vary in fabric thickness and suitability for different occasions, they are primarily sorted by color. This initial observation reveals that my fashion style leans towards solid colors, and the patterns and tones of these clothes are relatively monotone. Before taking the course GEC1042, a casual, all-black outfit was hard to avoid. After the first tutorial, I was taught to appreciate the disparate aesthetics in Eastern and Western sartorial systems. For instance, the Yiguan System and fashion in the Tang Dynasty in China have made me realize that my wardrobe, mostly filled with monotonous colors, could reflect Eastern simplicity and focus on material quality, as opposed to the Western emphasis on varied patterns and styles. That’s why I started thinking differently about fashion.

I see fashion as wearable psychology, where each garment conveys a message or evokes specific emotions. At any given moment, others perceive my appearance through visual cues. I noticed that my clothes’ vivid color captured others’ attention even before my facial expressions did. Therefore, I choose my attire’s colors as a psychologist working on a color palette would, with careful attention to the occasions I wear those clothes. For instance, during exams in the Lecture Theater, I opt for light-colored clothing to blend in with the bright surroundings and help me focus. On dates, I gravitate towards darker, more subdued clothing, which reflects less light and allows my facial expressions and emotions to take center stage. To me, the essence of fashion is the individual, and the purpose of an outfit is to express various fashion attitudes by highlighting or obscuring the individual. As my college life becomes more colorful, I am questioning if the monotonous colors in my wardrobe can effectively convey a range of emotions. The course’s concept of ‘East-West Dialogue’ has made me more aware of how fashion elements from different cultures can inform each other. While I used to opt for solid colors, I’ve started to appreciate the intricate patterns in Chinoiserie and Japonism, which were significant in early modern European art and fashion.

Reopening the wardrobe and facing the mosaic pattern of black, white, and gray clothes, I wonder whether there is an urgent need to rejuvenate my wardrobe by buying new patterned pieces. The answer seems to be no. Most of the clothes are made of durable, comfortable cotton. Many have accompanied me through countless seasons. Their fabric primarily comes from the beautiful Xinjiang Province in China, offering me a sense of warmth from my homeland when I’m studying abroad. They regain their luster with simple laundering and become increasingly comfortable over time.

During this reflection, an idea suddenly hit me: rather than purchasing new items, why not rediscover my existing wardrobe from a new perspective? By combining existing items differently or adding small accessories like scarves to bring texture, I might resolve my current wardrobe’s lack of expression.

Before starting, I listed emotions and scenarios I wanted to convey through my clothing—such as “confidence,” “relaxation,” and “focus”—in a notebook. After looking through my wardrobe, I began to experiment with different combinations of colors, fabrics, and styles, trying them on and evaluating the look in the mirror. Simultaneously, I combined the outfits with meaningful, classic accessories like brooches, bracelets, and belts to add layers to my outfits.

Several weeks later, I feel as if I have discovered a brand-new wardrobe. The once-monotonous blacks, whites, and grays have become more vibrant, like a palette that has gained several new colors. Even the green, red, and blue clothes, once forgotten in the corners of the wardrobe, have been revitalized. They produce surprisingly unexpected but delightful reactions when combined with other pieces. I realized that what I needed was not just new clothes, but also a fresh perspective and approach.

Although I haven’t purchased any new clothes, these fresh combinations have invigorated my style, making me feel more youthful and expressive as I navigate ‘the best campus life.’ By consuming fewer clothes, I am not contributing to environmental issues from fast fashion consumption. Also, I don’t particularly appreciate shopping for clothes because there will be an opportunity cost when choosing one item over another.

These changes in my wardrobe have not only influenced how I dress but also positively impacted my attitude towards life. I now pay more attention to details, am more willing to try new things, and have grown to appreciate what I already have even more. My wardrobe is no longer just a space for storing clothes; it has transformed into an ever-evolving gallery reflecting my growing and changing inner world.

Ultimately, I’ve understood that fashion is not just about clothing; it’s about self-awareness and expression. My most authentic self doesn’t need to be realized by constantly buying new things; I can express myself through how I use and imbue meaning into what I already have. This realization gives me a deeper understanding of sustainable fashion—a lifestyle attitude that finds consistency in constant change and uncovers unlimited possibilities within material limitations.

Part 2: At the End of the Course

The Evolution of My Wardrobe Through GEC1042’s Fashion Lens

In my previous wardrobe audit, I explored how my personal style, values, and fashion concepts are reflected in my attire. Back then, I favored a minimalist, monochromatic palette and the simplistic aesthetics of Eastern fashion. However, after studying the course GEC1042, my perspective underwent a profound transformation. Returning to my wardrobe study at the end of the semester, I found that my wardrobe had undergone a complete reinterpretation of my fashion concepts and personal style.

After 13 weeks of studying the GEC1042 course, my understanding and use of color fundamentally changed. After studying the dialogues between Eastern and Western fashion, I began to pay more attention to the meanings and uses of colors in different cultures. For example, in Eastern cultures, red often represents celebration and good fortune, while in Western cultures, it might be seen as a symbol of passion or danger. Such cultural differences inspired me to rethink my choices of clothing colors, striving to create a cross-cultural color language in my wardrobe. As an NUS student studying at UCLA last summer, I recall wearing my red NUS school uniform to a gathering with Californian friends, who thought I was heading to a sports game or a rally. Actually, however, I was wearing it to bring good luck for an upcoming exam. Now, in selecting my clothing, I consider not only personal preferences but also these colors’ symbolic meanings in different cultures, striving to create a global visual harmony in my wardrobe.

Furthermore, with a deeper understanding of colors, I began using them for emotional self-expression. This shift made me realize that colors affect the observer’s emotions, while also and reflecting my psychological state. Previously, I preferred a simplistic and singular color scheme, but now, I have started experimenting with and appreciating more diverse and vibrant combinations. In the past, I might have chosen black or gray clothing to convey seriousness or focus, Now, I have learned how to convey different feelings and messages through various colors. Warm tones, for example, create a cozy and friendly atmosphere, while cool tones to express professionalism and seriousness. This change is not only in external appearance. It also reflects my internal emotional expression. This course has expanded my understanding of colors beyond personal aesthetics to broader cultural awareness and emotional expression. My wardrobe is no longer just a collection of clothes but has become an art gallery full of stories and emotions.

Initially, I subtly imitated others’ fashion ideas until studying GEC1042 helped me systematically think that fashion is a means of personal expression and a bridge for cultural exchange. During my time at UCLA, I deeply experienced the differences between Eastern and Western fashion cultures. American fashion culture is full of expression and reflects the wearer’s individuality, contrasting sharply with the more conservative and traditional styles I was accustomed to in Asia. For instance, in Los Angeles, I noticed that teenagers tended to dress more casually, comfortably, and even boldly, which was quite different from the more uniform campus attire I was used to. This cultural difference fascinated me and sparked my interest in exploring and integrating new fashion styles. I began to incorporate these new fashion elements into my attire. For example, I tried more casual and comfortable styles, like loose jeans and patterned T-shirts, which I rarely wore in Singapore. I also noticed American youths’ love for retro and street culture, which inspired me to add retro elements and street-style items to my wardrobe. For instance, I bought some vintage sneakers and hats with street art designs, choices I wouldn’t usually consider in Singapore. Whether on the campus in Los Angeles or the streets of Singapore, I can confidently display my multicultural fashion perspective, transforming my wardrobe from a place to store clothes into an exhibition that blends various cultural elements.

In my continuous exploration of fashion, sustainability has become an increasingly important issue. I realized that the rise of fast fashion brought endless new styles and significant environmental and social burdens. Clothes piling up in the wardrobe, outdated and unused, are not just a waste of personal space but a disregard for resources. In my own wardrobe, I prioritize the versatile pairing of clothes rather than making frequent purchases to reduce waste. I began to pay more attention to garments’ quality and classic design, ensuring they withstand the test of time. For instance, I would choose basic shirts and pants, presenting them in new ways with different accessories and combinations. I also tried redesigning or modifying old clothes, like adding personalized patches or embroidery to an old denim jacket, giving it a new lease on life.Thus, each garment in my wardrobe maximizes its value, not as a disposable item but as a manifestation of my story and creativity. My wardrobe is no longer a display of fleeting fashion but a space that showcases my personality and values, with each piece of clothing carrying a piece of my journey.

After completing this journey, I revisited my wardrobe, viewing it not just as a storage place for clothes, but also as a testament to my personal growth, cultural understanding, and values. Every learning experience and adventure has left a unique mark on my wardrobe. I have learned to appreciate different artistic styles of fashion, incorporating them into my style, and gaining a deeper understanding of sustainable fashion. Through the course GEC1042, I enhanced my fashion awareness and deepened my understanding of myself and the world around me. I hope to continue this exploration in the future.

Warning: Plagiarism is an academic offense taken very seriously by the University, as stated in the NUS Code of Student Conduct.

All files listed on this page are under protection by CC BY-NC-ND 4.0 License.