All’s Well That Ends Well – Terima Kasih <3

Hi everyone! I have come to my last blog post ): Thank you for staying with me throughout this journey of the two capital cities and help me in answering the question of whether the Indonesian government should relocate the capital to Kalimantan. 

Last post!

To sum up my whole blog post journey, I pieced up together the puzzle pieces that I showed you every week. So, here are the conclusions that can be drawn when you picked up either the blue or red puzzle pieces.

Yes, they should relocate the capital! They should enforce these things in the new capital
No, do not relocate the capital! They should do these things in Jakarta instead

Considering the 2 sides of the coins, I personally think that the government should still relocate the capital to East Kalimantan so that Indonesia can start a clean slate and build the capital city from scratch. Most importantly, the Indonesian government should not relocate soon because it would be too rushed and unplanned; and it is even possible that the same problem similar to Jakarta could happen again. Instead, they should do a long term analysis and urban planning on the location itself so that it could fulfil its long-term socio-economic growth while not generating negative environmental impact like biodiversity loss or contribute more to deforestation and climate change. Moreover, just because they relocate the capital to Kalimantan, that does not mean they can abandon Jakarta: they should also still channel their resources to tackle the urban environmental problem that is still prevalent in Jakarta. Other than that, education is such a powerful tool to raise awareness about the current environmental issue and galvanise more people ( especially the young people ) to put pressure on the government to make a change, or better, be the change themselves. Yet, despite the two conclusions, urban planning remain at the centre of core of all decision-making processes of the cities as it is actually the building block of a city; it is the underlying reason of creating a sustainable and liveable city.

To end this whole journey on a hopeful note, I want to introduce to you the people that inspired me throughout this whole journey: Melati and Isabel Wijsen. They are two young girls from Bali that vocally show their passion for saving the environment in their beloved hometown. You might think that they are still young and powerless, but they persevered. Not only did they voice out their ideas but they WORKED to make it happen. Because of them, Bali has now banned single-use plastic and aimed to be more environmentally sustainable. This shows the power of education and conviction: that if you believe in one great cause, you should not be afraid to articulate your thoughts and garner more people to jump in the same boat as you. Here is the video of their inspirational speech in TED talk.

I am hopeful that in the future, more Indonesians, especially the young ones, will be more aware of these environmental issues ( especially the urban ones ) and help to solve such challenges through their actions (: 

Terima Kasih and Om Shanti Shanti Shanti Om !

( Thank you and peace in the body, mind and spirit; in the past, present and future ) ! <3

4 thoughts on “All’s Well That Ends Well – Terima Kasih <3

1. Hi Sherry,

Really enjoyed your blog over the course of this semester, I really like how its so structured and everything comes together in the end.

You mention that the capital should still be moved to Kalimantan, but it should be done after long term anaylsis and urban planning is done. What are some of the “KPIs” you think the Indonesian government should hit before this can be considered adequate?

Totally agree that Jakartans shouldn’t be left to hang out to dry.

Cheers,
    Ee Kin

1. Hi STEK! Thank you so much for staying with me throughout this journey <3

Yes, I believe so. For the KPIs, I am not sure myself because I am not a professional urban planner ( maybe not yet? :p ) but I think some of them could be in terms of the reserves they have, the level of education and literacy rate of the people, the law for indigineous people to protect their rights, some strict regulations for biodiversity loss and climate change, transportation development, well, basically a lot!

Thank you <3
      Sher

2. Hey Sher bear

It’s been great reading your blog and seeing Indonesia through your eyes and perspectives. Personally, I feel like a fresh start would be great for the government and I agree with your point on not forgetting about Jarkata. Culturally, this would be significant for not just the locals but also the world. A successful relocation would mean that other countries with similar issues can adopt a similar approach. Do you think there’s any pressure on the government to ensure the success of this relocation from international communities?

Thank you!
    Sherry’s friend from Tembu

1. Hi Chuanny Baby

Thank you for staying with me throughout my whole blog journey ( not just blog journey but yes, you get my point ). Regarding your question, I feel like definitely there are some sort of challenges and pressure on the government to ensure the success of this relocation because who knows that the new capital could be the new standard or benchmark for other countries that want to relocate their capital cities. If you see my previous reply to Ee Kin, you could see how there are certain KPIs or criteria that need to be fulfill to create a sustainable and liveable city!

Thank you and see you around hehe

Love
      Chuan’s friend from Tembu